what happened to the carbon fiber drive shaft

G

GEORGE ONEILL

what happened to the carbon fiber drive shaft

Did Charles blow the 550 buck drive shaft on the track. and would aluminum driveshaft do any good?

Carbon fiber drive shaft

George,
Actually both Doug and I broke the Carbon Fiber shafts. He broke his on the street, while I broke mine on the track, both on regular street tires...

The manufacturer came through for us and refunded Doug the cost of his shaft. For me they made an AL shaft, and refunded the difference between the two.

I personally believe there there is some kind of harmonic issue between the rear, trans and the CF material itself. They have refused to build any more CF shafts for the MN12 cars.

Charles

So Charles, did you even get to make a clean pass with the CF driveshaft? Just wondering if it was worth any e.t. savings.

I would remember if I spent $550 on a carbon fiber driveshaft that blew up on me. Let the man speak.

The shaft

The CF shaft failed as I came out of the waterbox at the track. There was no wheel hop or other issues at that time. It just shattered when the tires started to grip at the completion of my burnout and the tires hooked... I still have some pieces as a souvenir.

The shafts were made by PST, at the time, the tubes were the same ones as being used in NHRA's Pro Stock Truck, ours were a different length, but the same stuff supposedly. These tubes were rated at 2800HP. Perhaps we got some bad ones, but the tubes simply unwound like the cardboard center of a roll of paper towels... I am glad that PST took care of us as well as they did, as I mentioned 8 years ago.

Micah, so I unfortunately do not have an documented ET reduction. But from what I REMEMBER, there is only a 2 or 3 pound reduction from the Al Shaft to the CF shaft. The real difference was going away from the steel shaft and to something lighter, on the order of 11+ pounds lighter... If I had known that back then, I would have went with the Al from the beginning...

Why do some people bother to make posts about what other people may or may not remember. Especially when we have never even met? Seems like a waste of time...

very nice charles

after 8 years you reply to a thread that was reinstated the same date with only 8 post to your account

excellent!

goes to show how many lurkers we have around that don't post often

Back