Crank Sensor???

M

mr sacorp

Ok, I'm trying to diagnose an annoying intermittent problem. The only way I can explain it is an "all engine miss". It doesn't seem to be a fuel pump related fuel starve. Nor a one or two cylinder miss, more like an all engine cut out. The car jerks, and I have to pull over to re-start, then it's fine till next time. SBDS has no codes that seem to directly address this problem. I do have an O2 sensor code. But what I was wondering is if anyone knows if this seems to be a crank or cam sensor prob. Or poss. a O2 sensor short. Or what? I hate going about this in a hit and miss fashion.

What all codes did you get?

It could be a few things. DIS, coil pack, crank sensor or cam sensor. I'd be more inclined to say cam or crank sensor. When you restart it, is your upshift light on? Does it always restart easily, or is there problems starting it?

When my '94 used to buck really bad while driving it, it was the cam sensor.

Dale

Mine is an automatic so I don't see an upshift light. It usually pops right off after I shut it off to restart. Once it gave me hell but usually it starts. As far as codes, there is many but I don't believe them all, I think one or two problems is resulting in "related" codes. Here are my codes, the first one I plan on ignoring until it changes its mind: Replace processor, O2 sensor (which I'm replacing monday, because I do believe I need. I had the fuel regulator go bad which I think toasted the O2 sensors), fuel pump (which I don't think is bad), I think that's it, can't remember. This cut out problem has happened rather frequently, every couple of days or so. However it hasn't done it now for 9 days. I have a crank sensor waiting for me if it would act up again. I want it to do it once more before replacing it. Oh yeah, one more symptom..... 2 or 3 times that this has happened my tach went limp for a while, wouldn't register at all then all of a sudden it was there. Thanks

OK, wacky tach could be cam sensor or DIS. I don't think it's your crank sensor.

Dale

Ok, what the hey is DIS? You did ask me if it starts hard, not really but sometimes it does turn over a few more times before it pops off.

First thing I'd replace is the cam sensor, because it's the cheapest to do.

Then, the DIS. DIS is Distributorless Ignition System. It's the brains that controls the spark. Both of them are super easy to replace.

Dale

dis.jpg

Back