What Are The Best Plugs And.....

Ricks SC

WHAT ARE THE BEST PLUGS & WIRES FOR THE SC WITH 400+ hp? PART # PLEASE. ANY TRICKS OR SHORTCUTS ON REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION OF SPARK PLUGS? THANKS FOR THE HELP.:)

WHAT TO DO ???????????????

just remove the top i/c tube and swing the lower i/c tube over..........remove the air tube to the t/b you shouldn,t have any problems............i use autolites dpp,s.......FAST FREDDIEi:rolleyes: :cool: :D

New spark plug wires and new spark plugs are going to better than whatever your old spark plug wires and spark plugs are ;-)

I'm using Magnacore wires and NGK Iridium plugs... would have used the Densos, but I didn't want to wait.

Ricks SC said:
WHAT ARE THE BEST PLUGS & WIRES FOR THE SC WITH 400+ hp? PART # PLEASE. ANY TRICKS OR SHORTCUTS ON REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION OF SPARK PLUGS? THANKS FOR THE HELP.:)
attachment.php

Rick,

I don't know if they are the best but I like Taylor wires and NGK iriduim plugs.

Taylor 8mm Spiro Pro series w/135 degree boot direct fit part numbers are as follows.

#074269 Red
#074669 Blue

I perfer the standard length tips Iriduims gapped to .040 (NGK-TR51IX 7316)

David

Hey, that's exactly what I have. Almost, I used a .045 gap. Oh and I am currently using 5 Iridiums and one Autolite Platinum. I thought the number 3 cylinder was firing a little off so I put the Autolite in there to balance the pressure between the cylinders so I wouldn't throw off the balance between them. Not really, I broke the electrode on one of the Iridiums this weekend and haven't changed it out yet. Had you going though huh?

WHAT TO DO ???????????????

THAT REMINDS ME OF THE STORY ...............YEARS AGO WHEN THE THE GUY BORED OUT THE LEFT SIDE OF HIS CYLINDERS .60 OVER AND MILLED THE LEFT HEAD .90 TO GET MORE TORQUE..................FAST FREDDIE :rolleyes: :cool: :D

I'm using Iridiums too, almost the same as David. I have TR55-IX, which is similar to the TR55-1IX except it's not an extended tip style plug. I gapped them to 0.052" and they're working good. Less prone to detonation than with Autolite double plats.

Note - Iridium plugs are nice but won't last as long as double plats, because they have a regular ground electrode.

Truthfully though, how many performance guys on here have actually left the platinums in until they "needed" to change them. I have averaged changing them every 10-15k anyway.

Rob,

My plugs get pulled for a look see about 3 times a year and I doubt this motor will last more than another 20K miles (3-4 years) anyway, so long term durability for the plugs isn't really an issue for me.

David

Yeah, I didn't mean that the shorter plug life really concerns me, it's just something to mention. My SC only gets a few thousand miles per year, plus on my engine I can reach all six plugs from the top, so it's not exactly a big deal to change them...

I thought....

That the bottom electrode of the iridium plugs was made out of

Yttrium?? Isn't that supposed to be a long lasting metal?

Ummm, the center electrode on Iridium plugs is, not surprisingly, made from... Iridium. Actually it's an alloy but mostly consists of Ir.

The part that won't last as long is the ground electrode. It's just a standard ground electrode, like you would find on a regular plug or single platinum plug. Actually I've read that NGK makes double Ir plugs for certain OEM applications, but it probably wouldn't fit the SC.

Back