Coolant on water pump

Digitalchaos

I've a slight coolant loss & some is on top of the water pump.. right next to & behind the bypass hose and under the thermostat. It is sitting in the valley between the pump housing and bolt.

The thermostat will soon be changed along with other items. Can I safely assume the coolant found here is from the thermostat? Thanks.

My wife's Mustang 5.0 had the exact same problem, but it never runs out of water. It dryed up and hasn't happened since. Wonder the answer to this myself. Bolts were tight. Could never see where it came from. Can only suggest doing a pressure check on the cooling system. Rent at AZ I think.

The weep hole on our cars is on the top of the WP. If you are seeing coolant coming from the weep hole it's time for a new water pump.

It sounds like you have a housing leak, but check in the weep hole to be sure.

Aaron

If the coolant is just sitting in that little depression next to the bolt on the driver side of the timing cover casing; it's most likely the underside of the t/stat gasket that's leaking. Just take a small mirror and look under the thermostat. Very common on these cars.
Jim.

Havn't had an SC do this. But I will try again to see on the Stang. It must only happen on some rare high pressure build up in the system. Big puddle right there on top. Next time I look it is completly dry. Got to stop being lazy and just go find the leak and fix.

Back