Codes::: 14 & 19

SuperCoupe007

Hey guys and gals, here is my problem. I am driving in the freeway cruising around 65 or so then i feel the car die. I look at the instrument cluster and the tach needle is laying at "0" with the "upshift, check gage, and check engine" lights on. sometimes the engine dies for a second. sometimes it does it for about 5 seconds then fires right back up.. othertimes i have to pull to the side of the road for 15 minutes or so... I ran codes and came back w/ 14 & 19.. I looked in the book and it says;

14; C Profile Ignition Pickup circuit failure

19; C Distributorless Ignition Cylinder Identification circuit failure

I have no idea what exactly 14 or 19 means. I got some theories of what could be wrong, but instead of doing a trial and error, i thought maybe you guys/gals know what i need to replace or adjust, if any..

Its ticking me off that i can't go anywhere without worrying about if the SC is gonna die on me :mad: :mad:
Thanks for your help

Hey SuperCoupe007

It is either a bad connection or something is broken meaning the sensor cam and crank are not pluged in . OR the cam and crank sensors are both broken.

Is your upshift light on when you try and start the motor?

Last edited:
Hey stocker 89, when the engine dies on me and i pull over, i crank it over and the upshift light stays on.. There have been a couple of times when i crank the car, the upshift light turns off, but i have to pinch the gas pedal a bit for it to catch... dunno if this helps clear anything.. :confused: but usually about 15 minutes later after the car dies i crank it the upshift light turns off and the car will start again... then i get worried about it dying on me again :(

Ok The upshiftlight coming on indicates a bad crank sensor.

I had a problem with my upshift light coming on it was a bad connection from the crank sensor. The part where you plug it in to the wiring harness. That connector the wires go into well one of the wires was loose it did not stop the car from running But my upshift light was on . I replaced it and my up shift light went away . I bet that is also your problem . If the crank sensor was completely broken the car would not start. What you have is a malfunctioning crank sensor.

Take a look at the thread NO SPARK by RICKSC he had the same problems you had it is at the bottom of page 1 or at the top of page 2 here in the technical forum.

A little more info 007

The EEC gets its PIP signal from the (CP) crank position sensor. The CID signal comes from the (CMP) camshaft position sensor.

That is the reason I was thinking both of your sensors might be malfunctioing. However THE pip (cp) malfunctioning might be confusing the cid (cmp).

How long does it take to start you car? If it takes 4 or 5 tries of turning the Key off and on you may also have a cam sensor failing.

Your EEC has what is known as (FMEM) failure mode effects management. What the EEC does is take over when these sensors fail it disregards the info it is or isn't recieving and keeps the car drivable.

I would guess in your case it has more to do with the (CP) sensor. I would change that one first then go to the (CMP) sensor. Does your Tach work if it is working then your spout connector is OK. Keep in mind you might also have bad wiring somewhere. You just never no for sure but changing out parts is a good place to start. I don't mean to scare you but if you change out these sensors and motor doesn't run better You will know you have faulty wiring before the sensors because the sensors are all connected to each other. so when you change them you will also be chaging out the wires and connectors that come with them. 95% of the time it is the sensor.Plus your upshift light is coming on during start up and that is supposed to be a sure sign of Crank position sensor failure. Good Luck

Last edited:
code 14 , 19

14- pip failure
19- cid sensor input failed

Code 19 indicates the ECA voltage regulator does not have ability
to maintain correct internal voltage. I keep having problems with a buddy of mines SC. Erratic missing, no tach / codes 176,212,542. The ECA relay powers all this crap.including pip sensor. Problem is that in the sc it is contained in the IRC module.
Located at the passenger headlight area. $140.00
Have diagnostic flow charts if you need them.
have you changed the DIS Module & ck. your oil to see if it smells like gas. If the DIS goes crazey & stops fire to plugs, the injectors keep firing.

Last edited:
Back