Heater Core (Is this going to be hard?)

The heater core has went out on my brother's 1990 Anniversary with an automatic tranny. I would appreciate any advise on how to go in and replace this. I have never dealt with one before on an SC.
Thanks in advance!

Dirtybird91:(

I know it's a PITA! I replaced one on my 87 Tbird and had to remove the dash! I believe it is the same deal with the MN12.

Calvin

Yeah Birdie your gonna want to pound yourself in the head with a ballpeen hammer before you get done with that job. I started that job yesterday myself. After about an hour I decided to work on one of my many projects just to keep my blood pressure from blowing my head right off.
I'll take my time with it so I dont get out the 5 lb sledgehammer, its not like my car is going to run anytime real soon anyway.:(

Question

Anyone know if there is any difference in the heater box with AC in a 91 N/A and a 89 SC? I volunteered one to a member and pics my not match what he has, MAYBE?
Doug

Sheesh people, it's not THAT hard to do.. i had mine done in like 10 hours or something.. all in one day and such.. and my car was rewired for a 5spd and aftermarket stereo :)

about 2-3 hours to remove the dash/heater assembly ( i removed the seats, ,ect too ) and i replaced the Evap when i was at it (you do not need to remove the heater aseembly for doing a heatercore) which took about an hour, since i had to take it too work, and use a die cutter to cut between the lines :) then the rest of the time was reinstalling everything, Rewiring things (removed wires that do not get used, ect) cleaning up, ect..

i do not know what it's like on a S/C thou.. the heater hoses shoudl be a PITA! thou on one of them <shuddder>

ford stealership wrong answer think again..... about $600.00 or so .. So think again .. take your time it realy aint that hard just time cunsuming ...just move the dash as far as u need to take the core out ........... Its stupid how our ford genuisus didnt think about putting it somewhere u can take it out from the bottom......

yeah my heater core thingy went off to... actually the stupid a$$ who owned the car before me cut the hoses i believe... its either that or its missing.. dont know... well i have the replacement here but.. damn man... i just dont really have the time to crack open the hell out of the dash.... dont know man...

creeperxr7 said:
ford stealership wrong answer think again..... about $600.00 or so .. So think again .. take your time it realy aint that hard just time cunsuming ...just move the dash as far as u need to take the core out ........... Its stupid how our ford genuisus didnt think about putting it somewhere u can take it out from the bottom......

Man, the Stealership wants $450.00 to change out the heater core. I picked one up for about $49.00 at NAPA, so that's going to be about $500.00:( I don't know, I think I will get with my brother and attempt this thing . What can we loose, it's getting cold and he has kids.......:(
Dirtybird91

I know how you feel Birdie. I just volunteered myself(now getting out the ballpeened hammer for my head) to put one in my sister inlaws Crown Vic. Probably start sometime this week.
I wish those things were made of schedule 80 pipe so they would never wear out.:(

MIKE 38sc said:
I know how you feel Birdie. I just volunteered myself(now getting out the ballpeened hammer for my head) to put one in my sister inlaws Crown Vic. Probably start sometime this week.
I wish those things were made of schedule 80 pipe so they would never wear out.:(

I will never understand why ford did this! Are Chevys this tough???:confused: :confused: :confused:
Dirtybirdie

A. Not a lot of room behind the dash to begin with ... where else can you put it? If you move it to the right, you'd have to move the blower fan out of the way. So, you'd probably have to remove the dash for one or the other either way.

B. Ford has little incentive to make it easy for customers to fix, since the harder it is, the more likely they are to bring it to the dealership. Plus, the cost is mostly labor and not parts, which means this is one of the repair jobs with the highest profit margins.

S_Mazza said:
A. Not a lot of room behind the dash to begin with ... where else can you put it? If you move it to the right, you'd have to move the blower fan out of the way. So, you'd probably have to remove the dash for one or the other either way.

B. Ford has little incentive to make it easy for customers to fix, since the harder it is, the more likely they are to bring it to the dealership. Plus, the cost is mostly labor and not parts, which means this is one of the repair jobs with the highest profit margins.

This is all likely true, but it would have been so easy to put it behind the glove compartment where someone could lay on thier back and access it through a little door from beneath!:rolleyes:

dirtybirdie:(

I finally gave in guys!

I found a very reputable shop and they quoted me $250.00 to change the heater core out. The guy knows me and my brother, and said his book called for 6.5 hours. He was going to charge $250.00, but he knocked off another $25.00 since he is a friend of ours and his dad owns the shop.;) Now we only have to pay $225.00 for the job. We bought a heater core from NAPA for $47.00 too.
Labor rates down here in Southwest Virginia are not really that bad!!
I will be glad to get this over with. It will be done before many of you guys read this.:D

Dirtybird91

I just read it. Is it DONE! :D

I would gladly paid what you are for doing this job. Good Luck.

May the heat be with you :)

Calvin

Back