???Question on Phenolic Spacers???

metalman

I have never read anything on this site about Phenolic Spacers.
I have a couple questions for you all.

1- Does anyone make phenolic spacers for the SC? I would think one between the supercharger and the top would work wonders. As well as between the plenum and the block.

2- Are you able to buy sheets or blanks of phenolic material and custom cut what you need?

My brother has a 1" phenolic spacer on his '95 Cobra and it make quite a noticable temperture difference.
Where I've been reading that the supercharger can produce air temp upwards of 400 degrees, the spacer would seem like a great idea. What do you think?

Thanks,
Metalman

Such a spacer is designed to restrict heat conduction from one part of the engine to another. Most typically to prevent engine heat from migrating to the upper intake.

Why it's not a big deal on our cars is that the high temperature air is being forced into the engine. The conduction of the heat from one metal surface to another metal surface is not the highest priority.

I understand the use of phenolic material.

Whether or not its priority in the SC, it would be useful to reduce the temp. of the air going into the motor, right?
Cooler, more dense air=more power

It's not the metal that makes the air hot. It's the compressing of the air that makes it hot.

But you could theorize that some heat transfer is occuring between the casing of the blower and the lower intake manifold. My guess is that it just isn't significant enough to warrant anyone trying to make any spacers.

Give it a shot, and take some temp mesurements and see if it does anything.

Back