When is a chip needed ?

I believe that any time is a good time for a properly burned chip or a tuner-even on a stock motor
u will be able to adjust things like temp, air 2 fuel, rpms
and you may get better performance and or gas miles

I have mine on it's way and i have few mods, mostly just intake, exhaust w/ gutted cats, early style pulley and a 180 deg thermostat. I'm looking for the better tune, cooler running w/ the 180 deg tstat, and the shift points/firmness. Apten recommends it as part of the first stage of upgrades.

And who will write the tuner files ? will you all do it yourselves ? i just dont see a point in buying something and having only one person who writes the files

Well if you know the systems well enough you can purchase a Tuner instead of a chip, so you can set up the maps and curves yourself. Apten does a great job with tuning from what I've heard on here. That's why I ordered a chip.

Apten specializes in our cars. But FordChip can to a decent job as well.

Dr. Fred can help you with an EEC tuner.

Right off the bat a custom chip can help you gain some power when stock.

Probably the first time you have to start considering a chip is if you change fuel injectors. But really, to achieve the most bang for your buck, any mod that alters air entering or exiting the engine would benefit by a tuned chip.

Remember, there are two different systems out there. The first is tunners burn chips that interface with the EEC and give it new values to work with.

The other is you buying an EEC tunner that you get files written for and download to the EEC yourself.

Well I was thinking of buying the EEC tuner just because i felt it would be a better investment, but it doesnt sound like something joe schmoe can do on his lunchbreak. Im concerned with support for the EEC tuner files. I've heard from someone that Dr. Fred is hard to get a hold of[not my personal experience] and i am not aware of other people who do such a thing.

Hard to get a hold maybe today, but that doesn't mean always. He's just a man, and as you likely know, we all go through periods of way too much to do. If you have questions about his schedule I'd talk to him directly.

It's not like you need to play with your EEC tuning every week. Unless you are involved in new modifications all the time, your tuning file really shouldnt' change that much.

does superchips or hypertech make those tuner things spicificly for our cars? someone told me hypertech was a good one to get.

Would a chip-in regards to the MAF or another air in/out devise-help adjust settings in order to tell the computer about the adjusment? Or does it work in another way?
As an example, you put in a bigger MAF and get a stumble at idle, or a check engine light. Would the chip help to orchestrate the change?
Tom

"you put in a bigger MAF and get a stumble at idle, or a check engine light. Would the chip help to orchestrate the change? "

I hope so. Thats why I am adding a chip. Brian has mine in the mail so I am looking to the chip doing just what you are asking. And More.

The engine computer is responsible for controlling the timing of the spark and the pulse width of the injectors to achieve an optimum fuel/air ratio.

It uses data from the MAF, Crank Sensor, Cam Sensor, BAP sensor CAT sensor, and others.

The MAF sensor tells the computer how much air is entering the engine. It uses this information to determine how much fuel to give each cylinder. If you change your MAF to allow more air to enter the engine, the new MAF either needs to be able to tell the engine computer the correct information translated to what your computer expects, or your computer has to learn to expect different information.

Pro-M and C&L mafs use slightly different ways to get the computer to accept the larger MAF without having to understand new parameters. Problem is, these tricks are not always optimum.

A chip fine tunes the system much tighter, giving the computer specific information related to the MAF signals it can now expect. This often helps clean up some odd idle behavior. But only if the odd idle is caused by the computer. If you have a vaccum leak before a chip, you'll still have one afterwards.

My engine actually runs really well but I get a check engine light after 10 minutes or so for running lean on both sides.

I expect that to be cured by the chip and once I dyno the car have the chip optimised for my application with a reburn.

Back