Ancient tranny/clutch...on last leg?

NorthrnSCownr

I am looking at a 95 5sp. Close to 180,000 supposedly original tranny and original clutch. I didn't think the clutch would go that many miles. What is the life expectancy for a clutch?Tranny?
Thanks,
Tom
[edit] I guess the first 100,000 miles were driven by "Mom" for grocery shopping, and the cats were burnt when purchased by 2nd owner. I guess she never opened her up. Wondering if under those conditions the clutch could last that long?

Last edited:
To my understanding the clutches on these cars are fairly durable, and have even been recommended by some members over aftermarket units for mild modifications. Also the only significant weakpoint in the transmission design seems to be the synchro blocker rings.

Therefore it seems logical to assume that unless the car was abnormally driven, abused, or maintained, these things could probably last a long time in good condition.

My original 4cyl Jeep clutch has now seen 170k with some abuse. Completely different car, but I'm willing to bet the SC clutch is of stronger construction.

trans/clutch

I've got 207,000 on my trans and I get 100,000 per clutch so I'm now barely on my third.I am using the stock clutch parts.

Back