poly differential mount - *pics*

tbird88

Just thought I'd run this by everyone. It's a rear differential mount for the MN12 IRS that I removed the rubber from. Added a bridge on top for good measure and replaced the stock rubber with shore 90 polyurethane.

all comments/threats/etc welcome.

'bird

polydif6516.jpg

polydif6506.jpg

Looks very nice...

Um, how is the header ... sunroof bezel ... Down tubes ... manifold porting... projects going? :D

Can you discuss a little of the theory in the making of that part? Why would I want one?

Thanks.

hmm nice, I had to replace that part a while back and what a bitch to find a new one, mine broke in half and I assume that was from wheel hop or something crazy lol....very very loud noise when that thing breaks( guess something was rubbing on something ) , cost about $120 to find a brand new one... good ol' ford making everthing hard to get for these cars

nice work

It's a scary piece to me ....bolts to the aluminum housing on the diff.
...and will have no give ...when the diff.. torque twist under load ...or get some wheel hop on down shifts ....then there is the vibration that it will transmit ...again I do not feel it will be good for the aluminun housing ..from the harmonics of drive shaft and rear gear/haft shafts ..etc. ...I'm not to big on the idea of near solid mounting the diff with poly bushing ....to begin with ...with only 4 bolts holding it in place and 2 of them are on that mount.....those would be my concerns ...is a very pretty piece though ....dave

Originally posted by Mike8675309
Looks very nice...

Um, how is the header ... sunroof bezel ... Down tubes ... manifold porting... projects going? :D

Can you discuss a little of the theory in the making of that part? Why would I want one?

Thanks.
All ya gotta do is use that Greyhound ticket I sent to your sweetie and get yer butt down here and get to work on this stuff with me. You'll find out every last thing ya wanna know and then some...might even see a few things ya didn't want to :D

You forgot to mention the billet e-brake assy,

'bird

Originally posted by Billabong089
hmm nice, I had to replace that part a while back and what a bitch to find a new one, mine broke in half and I assume that was from wheel hop or something crazy lol....very very loud noise when that thing breaks( guess something was rubbing on something ) , cost about $120 to find a brand new one... good ol' ford making everthing hard to get for these cars
I'm hopin' this booger holds up to my testing program, got numerous offers but I'm gonna put it under my mostly stock '94 5spd for a week and see what happens.
No idea of the possible results, not like I'm wishin' for bad things but I'd rather know from personal experience than use someone else's car as a guinea pig and wind up with a rep for bad parts.

'bird

Re: nice work

Originally posted by MercsSC
It's a scary piece to me ....bolts to the aluminum housing on the diff.
...and will have no give ...when the diff.. torque twist under load ...or get some wheel hop on down shifts ....then there is the vibration that it will transmit ...again I do not feel it will be good for the aluminun housing ..from the harmonics of drive shaft and rear gear/haft shafts ..etc. ...I'm not to big on the idea of near solid mounting the diff with poly bushing ....to begin with ...with only 4 bolts holding it in place and 2 of them are on that mount.....those would be my concerns ...is a very pretty piece though ....dave
I can relate to your apprehension, been kinda hesitant to do this part for awhile now but if nobody did it then we'd never know.
Concerning your points...If you cruise around the various bbs you'll find several responses to other posts I've made about this bracket, some pro and some con. It might also surprise you (as it did me) that numerous people have drilled holes and put bolts through their mounts in an effort to "stiffen things up".
They reported a little more noise transfer to the body/interior but no breakage of the rear cover. That surprised me because a few of the "bolted" posts were made by ones that had modified their cars somewhat heavily and were hooking up well in the traction dept...but they hadn't been able to break their rear cover.
That's not to say that my cover won't break, but with the slight amount of "give" expected from this mount it just might be the perfect ticket...and it'll darn sure be better than the "bolted" method.
I'll be sure to post my results, those that know the thrashing I put my '94 through on occasion will tell you the test will be authentic :D.

'bird

Re: Re: nice work

tbird88 said:
They reported a little more noise transfer to the body/interior but no breakage of the rear cover. That surprised me because a few ...
I'll be sure to post my results, those that know the thrashing I put my '94 through on occasion will tell you the test will be authentic :D.

'bird

A busted rear cover will just give you something else to make out of some billet aluminum. A new ribbed rear cover with some load bolts to add more strength to prevent bearng cap movement.

sme-8510100_m.jpg

p.s. If I didn't have to work 7 day weeks I'd have been down there already. Damn software companies and their buggy software!

Back