Help! Need Balancer Info

david mckenzie

I understand the stock balancer for 94 supercoupe has a tendency to separate and break. I also understand the outside ring can slip on the rubber and show erroneous timing marks. What I need to know is if the actual center hub that holds the reluctor ring or timing star can slip in relation to the crankshaft. My balancer seems tight, the bolt is not broken, no wobble and motor runs as if severly retarded. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

94 SUPERCOUPE
David McKenzie

Get a timing light and see if it is actually running severely retarded. Check it with a timing light at idle. If it's correct at idle, then it's correct.

It's not likely that the balancer could be damaged enough to cause a timing problem, yet not show any outward signs of wobble.

What makes you think it is running with wrong timing?

Thanks for the input! The motor barely runs. It has very low vacuum and will barely support ignition. Most of the fuel ends up in the cats, creating extreme underhood temperature. I am getting no codes and I have removed the cats and resignator and this does not help. I have checked fuel pressure-40 psi. I have attempted to check timing and couldn't see timing indicator with belts installed. I can see that timing is erratic. With the spout plug removed, the timing still jumps back and forth approximately 5-10 degrees. As I said earlier I could not see the timing indicator, but with my timing light I could see the mark moving back and forth and not holding steady as it should.
Also, if possible for these balancers to move in relation to the crankshaft if the timing is picked up from the reluctor wheel and it does retard, the marks would also retard at the same time possibly looking like the timing was in the right position-wouldn't it?

Your timing should not be moving around at all. It should be rock steady. That it isn't, is a good sign that something isn't right with the crankshaft signal. So yeah, the balancer could be bad.

Yes, the Balancer can move on the crankshaft if it shears the key. If it does that, the only thing left is to break is the bolt.

The stock balancer uses an aluminum hub with an interference fit that is keyed to the crankshaft. Because of the balancer breaking down it causes engine vibrations to open up the aluminum hub eliminating the interference fit.

This is especially a problem if the stock balancer is removed and then reinstalled. The pressure involved in removing and reinstalling that balancer can expand the aluminum hub such that it doesn't fit tight enough anymore so only the key and the bolt on the end of the crankshaft are keeping it in place.

Back