Upshift Light???

darkstar_one

hey well a lil moment ago... there was this INTEGRA on the freeway... we went at it..

by the way... i have a 91 AUTO

well i kept it on DRIVE and punched it... RPMS went up..
all of a sudden my UP SHIFT LIGHT turns on... it BLINKS 3 times and makes a "WARNING" sound i guess.. the car boggs... till i shift into OD and i took off even faster... i burned the hell out of that INTEGRA...

Well is this normal right?

Have had the upshift light come on in a similar condition before. So to me it is "normal" although i'm not sure how good it is for the bird. I tend to avoid doing it.

esco

The upshift light is an indicator, as a warning that your speed is too high, for a given gear. As a result, the EEC will cut off three injectors, creating that 'bogging' effect.

That light comes on at 90 - I would not be counting the blinks at that speed:D :D

It's just telling you to get off the gas before you frag the tranny.

Aaron

well i've had my upshift light come on before but the car doesn't bog or cut out, i never heard anything about cutting power to 3 injectors , maybe after a long period of time with the upshift light on?... the car is not actually over-revving when this light comes on and it will not hurt the tranny at all, but if you were to continue driving under full boost it would eventually overheat the engine because the Blower is making more heat than the intercooler can handle . It's only designed to be driven under full boost for short bursts, not sustained driving. that's all the upshift light is telling you.

well... when the UP SHIFT light came .. the REVS were at 5500 RPM... maybe even 6000.... I remember hearing the warning noise like if a NUCLEAR MELTDOWN was about to occur... it did it 3 times and then the car bogged down...

That my friend is the rev limiter - you cannot take the stock torque converter over about 5500 because it is a POS and it falls apart at those RPMs. You were in the triple digits and the light had been on for a little while before you noticed it.

Aaron

yeah my upshift light will come on WAY before 5000 RPM, i don't remember the actual rev's cuz it's been a while but i know it was well under what would cause any damage, like closer to 4000 i'm sure. If you just ignore it and continue revving then yeah, the light will still be on at 6 grand ( i don't think a stock SC will even spin that high but i don't know if your's is stock or not ) and then you will do damage. but when the light first comes on you have not hurt anything, it's just tellin' you not to continue at that boost level for a long period of time, because boost generates heat, more than the radiator and intercooler can handle.

well... my transmission is a rebuilt with SHIFT KIT. The torque converter is new. Its not stock.its a high performance TORQUE CONVERTER. Well anything else?

The computer does not know that you upgraded the torque converter so it is still going to complain.

Aaron

my 93 auto is like kevenj90sc, the buzzer and light come on (doesn't flash) at 95 MPH in Drive which is around 4000 something. I let it pull to around 4800 before i let off to let it shift into OD.

kevenj90sc said:
well i've had my upshift light come on before but the car doesn't bog or cut out, i never heard anything about cutting power to 3 injectors , maybe after a long period of time with the upshift light on?... the car is not actually over-revving when this light comes on and it will not hurt the tranny at all, but if you were to continue driving under full boost it would eventually overheat the engine because the Blower is making more heat than the intercooler can handle . It's only designed to be driven under full boost for short bursts, not sustained driving. that's all the upshift light is telling you.

The Thunderbird SC SIL will light and an audible chime will sound under the following conditions: · Key in RUN, engine off. · At high vehicle speeds when engine speed is too high for the transmission gear selected: Greater than 93 mph (4000 rpm) in 3rd gear for A/T. Greater than 121 mph (4300 rpm) in 4th gear for M/T. At the same time the SIL and chime are activated at high speed, the Power train Control Module (PCM) will take action to prevent engine damage from overheating. If coolant gets too hot, or 60 seconds elapse at high speeds, the PCM will shut off three injectors until a safe operating speed is reached or transmission is up shifted to top gear.

Courtesy of SCTUNER.net...

Last edited:
yep, just tested it..... light comes on at 94 mph or 3900 RPM. as to the one min. of sustained high speed, I think i have done it that long without the engine cutting out, but im not sure. Ill just have to test it out when I get a clear "safe" chance.

turboken said:
yep, just tested it..... light comes on at 94 mph or 3900 RPM. as to the one min. of sustained high speed, I think i have done it that long without the engine cutting out, but im not sure. Ill just have to test it out when I get a clear "safe" chance.

Well, you can't run it any longer than 60 sec., unless you have a tuner to disable it.

ok ok ok.. check this out... lets say i get a 145 MPH speedometer... would the engine top out before i hit 145? or what? or would i need a new CPU

Back