Multifunction switch

Emu Bird

I performed the search already, and as usual my symptoms are not listed so here goes: While driving I some times hear a arcing
sound coming from my steering column there is no smoke or pvc
type odor, lights,wiper functions work. Other symptom, turn signal works but when turning left it will cancel prematurely fogs do not work, but light on console will illuminate. Also erratic static
in speakers often in either the right or left but not from both at
the same time.
Electroids help me.

Last edited:
Well I am no electroid.

But it does read like a bad connection . Won't know untill it fails or you go looking for it. Could be something as simple as bending two pieces of coper together to make sure they are touching this will keep the current from arcing and sparkig and causing a possible fire.

hearing arcing implies a high voltage

so check your ignition switch! I believe this was a recall on at least some years (on nearly every car made in recent times :confused: )

Multifunction Switch

A correction to my previous post {mfs}, the fog lights work
turn signals cancels at the slightest turn of the steering
wheel in any direction.
Arcing or crackling sound remains.
Ignition switch, and key cylinder have been replaced.
Thanx for the input:)

Are you able to identify where the arcing sound is coming from? EX; inside the steering column?

Also, during what operations do you hear the erratic static in your speakers? Only with turn signals, headlights on, randomly all the time, ect?

Your subject may have been correct. I would remove the MFS & inspect it..

MFS

Arcing is coming from the steering wheel/column area
Static occurs randomly without activating lights or turn signals
Turn signals cancels if the steering wheel is turned a quarter of a turn left or right.
I will inspect the mfs and go from there.
What price should I expect to pay for the switch ?

Back