Results from machine shop

J

Jason Parham

Results from machine shop

The machine shop cleaned and mic'ed my block and crank today. The rod journals had a few thousanths wear in them which would require turning the journals 0.010". I called Coy Miller today and asked him about turning the rod journals and he told me 0.010" is about as much as they like to take off and said its ok as long as the journal ends are radiused correctly. The guy at the machine shop believes people who may have had a machined crank break either turned them too much or the journals werent radiused right by the machinist. Since it seems ok to have my cranked turned, I'll have that done and use the appropriate oversize bearings.

Now on to the other stuff. The rods checked out fine so they can go back in. The cylinders have about 5 thousandths wear in them. The ring manufacturer states that it can handle 9 but since this is a blower motor I think the smart thing to do is have it bored the minumum 20 over and get new pistons. I may ask Coy what his recommendation is on brands of pistons. Any of you guys have any preferences? My heads look fine but my dad will take look over them at work tomorrow and shim the valvesprings if neccessary.
Later,
Jason

PS: You guys ought to see all the parts scattered over the garage floor! Its a mess!

Re: Results from machine shop

Well, it was sick and if it threw up that's what it'd look like. I'll get that injector off to you tomorrow. Good luck on the crank.

Update as of Thursday, Aug 2nd

I dropped by the machine shop yesterday and the block was sitting on a workbench freshly cleaned (it made it look breand new). Sitting next to it were a bunch of freeze plugs of several sizes so I guess thats what they were going to do next. The cylinders had fresh cross-hatches in them so they seem to already bored and honed it.
Perhaps the most interesting news is earlier this week the shop was taking the pistons and rods apart to check the rods. When they got around to what I think was the #5 cylinder (4th one from the front of the motor) something strange happened. When they removed the compression rings from the piston, two chunks fell out of the side of the piston. They were about an inch to inch and a half long. I have no idea why this happened or how long it was been like this. The pieces came from in between the rings and the rings were the only thing holding the whole thing togethor. Maybe that was the reason no damage was done to the cylinder. I lost the smaller chunk but I saved the piston and other piece so you guys can see it. I also got saved the worst of my rod bearings.
Also went to AutoZone and bought 10 cans of carburator cleaner to cleen up those greasy parts laying all over the garage floor. I'll probably end up using all of them too!
Jason Parham

engine parts are home!

Not one hour after I posted my last update my dad called and said the machine shop told him that my stuff was done. Picked up the block, crank, intake, timing chain cover, and oil pan. All of those pieces were put through some sort of cleaning process that made them look brand new. It appears that the aluminum stuff was media blasted so it will take a little effort to get the grit all out of the holes. Also there waiting for me was a new timing chain, 20 over pistons, rings, bearings, gasket set, and a bunch of other stuff. All in all I shelled out $864 big ones. I also got a new Melling oil pump (part #M-55). I just talked with Duffy and he said to his knowledge Melling does not make a SC specific oil pump so I'll try to check that out tomorrow. I still need to find an engine cleaning brush kit so I can clean the block real good and start buttoning everyhting up. Just my luck that my finals are this week on Thursday and Friday. After that I got one more week before its back to Georgia I go.
JLP

PS: Hey Mike I got that Injector in the mail too. Thanks a bunch!

Back