90 SC Automatic Overheat

PunishmentMMA

Here's the deal guys...

I just bought this beautiful car at the beginning of the Summer and it has run like a dream until this point...

Out of no where, it just began to run really hot. To the point of the check gage and check engine light coming on.

I checked the system over. The fans work. No external leakage I can detect, no internal leakage I can detect either. Running the A/C, heat, vent.... no change... still running hot. It is devouring coolant as well.

I have really no clue as to the cause of this. HELP ME GUYS PLEASE!!!

If you live in the CT area, call me 8608470168, ask for Don

E-mail Dsalzarulo42@yahoo.

OVerheating

Don,

There are lots of post concerning overheating. Unfortunately, our cars do run on the hot side. There are so many things you can check and if I miss any, I am sure someone will interject:

1. Make sure you bleed your cooling system. Unscrew the vent by the thermostat, fill the radiator until the coolant is just about to come out of the vent.
2. Check your oil - is it milky? YES - your HG's are gone.
3. Do you have white smoke coming out of the tail pipe? YES - Your HG's are gone.
4. Check to see if your overfill tank is bubbling when you accelerate (I don't recommend someone riding in the engine compartment :D). - YES - You may have an air in the coolant system or your HG's are gone - but if you don't have white smoke, it may just be air
5. Check your rad cap, or just replace it. It's cheap enough.
6. When was the last time you had your radiator flushed?
7. Check your thermostat - is there pressure on the upper radiator hose at normal op temp? - mine was minimal pressure at between "O""R", I replaced it and now it has good pressure at "O", I have a 180 thermostat.
9. Check for leaks at the waterpump, how old is it? NAPA has them for about $60.00.
9. last but not least - the radiator - mine was so clogged it ran at the "M" during street riding at almost to the red on the freeway. I replaced it and now I run at the "N" or below all around with the AC on.

Do you romp on your throttle?

THis is not in order. You may want to go from the least expensive to the most expensive or least labor extensive to the most labor extensive to troubleshoot your issue.

I had a similar problem with all of a sudden jumping to the "H"ot point. .. I replaced the thermostat & wallah. I was happy enough to fix it for less than $10.

As jsue mentioned all the previous item, my scenario may not always be the case. But start little & see if it doesn't work out for you that way. Keep us posted.

Anthony

Sudden overheating is generally an indication of a blown head gasket. When the gasket blows it allows hot exhaust gases into the coolant passages and pushes the coolant out. Some coolant also enters the combustion chamber on the intake stroke and will cause a little steam to be visible in the exhaust. When this happens your coolant recovery tank may overflow or become overfilled until the engine cools. Air bubbles will also be visible in the tank shortly after shutting the engine off or when revving the engine under a load.

The best way to check for a blown head gasket is by doing a compression test on all cylinders.

David

Applologies in advance guys. Not trying to highjack thread, just excited to find a fellow SCer fairly close by.

PunishmentMMA,
I'm from around Groton. I don't know if you're interested, but FYI this weekend and next weekend (last one) the Ford club in Wallingford hosts a Cruise night at the Walmart on Route 5(North Colony Rd). I've gone to the last 2 cruises and it was a lot of fun. There are a few guys from SCCoNE who try to make it when they can.

Back