brake problems

raceguy13sc

The problem is I went to drive my car to work the other morning and after I started it both the abs light and the brake light where staying on. The pedal is rock hard and the car barely stops from a crawl. I drove the car around town the night before and the breaks worked fine. I tried changing the brown relay hoping for an easy fix. How can I tell what is causing the pump to not run? Any suggestions would be greatly appriceated. I need to fix this thing as it goes in the auto trader in 2 days. Thanks, Jeff

Sounds like an accumulator issue. You can search for the topic, or just replace your accumulator for a Prior Reman one. That was my situation when my car did the same thing as you described.
Tom

i would say accumulator, thats what happenned to mine, i needed mine fast so i got it from a local ford dealer for 232, but if you have time you may want to contact prioreman.com, i wouldnt buy used, accumulators go bad from sitting, and most of the used ones have sat, good luck

Ummm... you can't conclude its the accumulator. If the brakes work intermittently, then its more than likely the relay. However, since you replaced the relay, that would point to either a wiring problem (broken wire leading to the relay or to the pump motor itself) or a bad pressure switch. Unfortunately, this means you're going to have to either guess or get a voltmeter and trace down if the motor is getting power when the relay is engaged.

wouldn't the pump keep running if the accumilator was the only prob. Where is the first spot to look for power with a voltmeter? Also I have read about getting codes from the abs computer, what is the procedure for that. Thanks for the ideas, Jeff

Back