Car running lean

90CougXR7

I went in today to get my leaky valve covers fixed and the mechanic says that my car is running lean. He said that he checked for vacumn leaks and the supercharger has none. He suggested that I change the MAF sensor because they were faulty and he says that he has seen them go bad alot. He said that there is a wire inside the sensor that easily gets clogged with debris. I was looking at upgrading the MAF sensor anyways so I wanted to see what everyone thought about the Pro-M 75mm Bullet MAFS on the Supercoupe Performance website. My plans right now are to put a BT motorsports CAI and evenutally put on the exhaust system. Thanks for any advice.

I would be curious how the Mechanic figured it was running lean. Did he pull the plugs? Did he run a diagnostic on it? Did he pull codes? It's just not something a mechanic can determine without doing some inspections or tests.

A dirty maf sensor can be cleaned and doesn't need to simply be replaced.

If your exhaust system is stock, I would attack that problem before doing anything further. There is a resonator in the stock exhaust system that severly restricts the exhaust. So much so that it is felt it may be a major contributor to head gasket failure on these cars.

I wouldn't upgrade any intake side parts until the exhaust is taken care of.

Mike, you fell just a little short of calling the mechanic a liar.
So I will !:D :eek: :p

90Coug, Don't beleive every thing a mechanic tells you. I'd listen to Mike on this one. They can be easily cleaned with a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol. BUT be VERY gentle!! Any numerous things can cause a lean condition from bad sensors to the MAF. Do some checking first and determine the mechanic is correct.

Back