Overheating problem, but..............

My brother and I paid to have the following things done to his '1990 Anniversary (for overheating issues):

1.)Changed the water pump
2.)Changed the thermostat
3.)Changed the top radiator hose
4.)Changed the radiator cap
5.)Had the Heater core replaced
6.)Flushed the radiator

I supect the radiator hoses to be suspect because:

1.) The top radiator hose was sort of sucked together until we took the radiator cap off.
2.) The bottom radiator hose pinches together easily when you squeeze it with your hands.

I thought the bottom hose had a big spring in it and was not supposed to collapse like this. Could this be the whole problem?:confused: :confused: :confused:

We will be replacing the bottom hose tonight.

Dirtybird91

Birdie I bet the rad is stoped up with mineral deposites. Bad thing is you cant see it unless you remove the rad and look at the tube ends through the lower rad hose nipple.
I have one here that looks like concrete was poured into it, just unbeleivable!
Once they get mineral deposites in them they cant be boiled or flushed out clean. The only thing you can do is get a new rad.
You should have a spring in the lower rad hose. I would try that first.:)

i agree with mike 38sc

I just went through the same thing. Finally ordered a radiator from Radiator-express and walah! My car runs great now. I looked in the radiator through the upper rad recepticle and that thing was caked up like it had stalagmites and stalactites. The rad I recieved was an all metal, CFS. I am a proponent of radiator-express now.

www.radiatorexpress.com

Good Luck

Thanks guys! I really needed to hear that before wasting more time. My brother has kids, and that car will have to be fixed really soon!

By the way: Thanks for the link to that radiator site John! I am going to go through with the order. What do they mean by the term "turbo bracket"

Dirtybird91:confused:

Last edited:
Turbo Bracket??

I saw that too, I think they mean the Intercooler bracket, but I'd make sure before an order..

turbo bracket

I think Mike is right, it is the intercooler bracket. I ordered it without as it is very easy to reuse your existing one. - I think about six or eight screws. Good luck.

If you have the metal tanks, you can get your radiator recored to a three row unit.

You can clean the mineral deposits out of an old radiator, but it is cheaper and more reliable to just recore it.

Aaron

Man, dirtybird, you are one niiiiiice brother! I have kids and am on one income and my brother doesn't pay for anything on my 95! Where did I leave his phone # at? I am dialing right now! SCP exhaust, here I come!

Your teasing us Mike!!

I assume that is your new radiator you are selling???
Looks great!!
I know your busy and all, but any ideas on when you might be able to drive your SC? How are you going to mount your IC without the bracket?

I assume that is your new radiator you are selling??? No.....thats my rad. The drop in units will be much slicker than this. They will be downflow as well. But it will use the same identical core thats in my rad. As well as increased room for the stock mount IC and all the bracketry to mount up same as stock.

I know your busy and all, but any ideas on when you might be able to drive your SC? How are you going to mount your IC without the bracket?Bob I quite setting dates on completion of my car, so many things seem to throw a wrench in your plans that....hell who knows? When it gets done its done thats all I know for sure. I've moved my IC in front of my rad in the nose of the car. My IC tubes are going to go right through the area were the stock IC mounted into the nose of the car. They will be custom IC tubes of course.

Back