Calling Onequicksc....

SuperChicken89

I need some input from you regarding you Lentec AOD. I may have toasted mine on the way to work this morning! Just took it into the shop at noon to have it checked.

Questions:
1) What was the total cost including the converter and shipping?
2) Does their valve body automatically include the overdrive delete switch?
3) From order date to delivery date what was the time span?
4) What is your satisfaction level of their AOD (meets expectations, exceeds expectations, falls short of your expectations)

Any input from you would be helpful.

Oh yea.... if you don't want to broadcast any of the info you can PM me.

Bryan

Questions:
1) What was the total cost including the converter and shipping?
$1995 (no tax) + ~$30 for the OD delete switch and wiring. You could likely buy your own for ~$12, but I said ehh...what the hell. So if you did buy a switch and wiring, the total to your door, INCLUDING shipping is $1995 for the standard STREET TERMINATOR unit.

2) Does their valve body automatically include the overdrive delete switch?

See above. It's set up for it yes.

3) From order date to delivery date what was the time span?

Fast as they promised...I believe it got to the shop in 4 days from Canada

4) What is your satisfaction level of their AOD (meets expectations, exceeds expectations, falls short of your expectations)

K...I LOVE the unit and it's ability to shift (and hold) each gear (1, 2 ,and 3, OD locks via the switch) if desired. Being able to tool around the neighborhood in 2nd gear and hold it to redline is cool. I have fast solid shifts, but they are NOT harsh. FWIW I asked for this, because Chucks93sc (Chuck Meyer) has the STRIP TERMINATOR and complained immediately about the jarring shifts, so take that as a warning-they can tailor it to your wants, and perhaps Chuck didn't communicate well enough with them, I don't know. I can tell you the thing gets rubber hard on the 1 to 2 everytime at WOT.

Now...my biggest gripe/complaint is possibly related to my lack of power. I don't know how familiar you are with a non locker or if you've ever had one, but...The unit as priced comes with a 12" NON- LOCK convertor. I never had one before, and it takes some getting used to. I also know Kurt K's car shifted the same way so it isn't a mechanical problem, just the nature of the convertor etc. It will feel like it's slipping a bit on the 1 to 2 shift. It won't do it on the 2 to3 or 3 to OD, just the 1 to 2 under heavy throttle. I drove Kurt's before mine was in and his does too. This is supposedly normal and even "good " for high HP cars, I guess there's RPM building there from what i'm told, before it shifts. Just feels "wrong" to me, because the forward thrust kind of slows for a moment when this happens, and whenever you throttle the gas in gears 1 , 2 , or 3, and watch the tach, it's "lazy" because of the slight built in slippage from the non-lock. This to me at least, makes the car feel less responsive than it used to be. Not a lot..but noticeable.

If i had to do it again, with my stock HP #'s, I would get perhaps a 10" locking convertor. I may just spend $700( + install) and do that when it comes time (next June) to drain /refill the fliud. I have been meaning to call Len and pick his brain about it and see what he recommends, but i have time. Bad thing is, a solid convertor like a 10" is going to really spike the price up, and 2 grand was already hitting me decently hard. I

Hope this helps. FWIW, the tranny feels SOLID as hell, and Len himself has a Stang with a STREET TERMINATOR running 9's.

Dan...Thanks for the fast reply. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. At this point not sure what I will do if the trans is toast. The shop has it now and will look at as soon as they can. When the owner of the shop and I went for a ride he told me it may be as simple as a valve body gasket may have blown out. If that isn't the problem, then he said it might be the planetary gears. Regardless it will need some attention. One thing I would love to do is put a Lentec overdrive delete valve body in. That way I could have a true 1st, 2nd, 3rd,and4th gear selection the way it should have been. For the life of me I can't understand why Ford went the 1st,D, and OD route.

Thanks again

Bryan

Hey Bryan, call me, I might have another suggestion for ya at a lesser cost, I'm thinking it about it myself, just found this guy...

321-863-0700

RJ

Hey Guys, I'm back.

Not sure where to start. Dan's right, if you've never driven with a non-lockup convertor before, it will feel weird. The best part of the Lentech setup is the OD delete, especially for racing. Originally, I didn't have the Lentech. I went through a ton of transmission issues while trying experimental stuff, but ended up with an AOD rebuild from a shop in Florida (that's right, Florida). The guy worked out of a AAmmco (sp?) Transmissions and built performance trannys on the side. His tranny also had an OD delete feature, but it had issues. He told me it was the original way the Lentech did theirs. He also said that he had stopped doing the mods to customer's cars because less than half were problem free. After 2 rebuild (w/ shipping to Florida), he offered to split the cost of the Lentech VB and the rest is history :)

As for the wide-ratio gear set, there are a couple things you should know. The main thing is that the 1-2 shift rpm will always be different than the 2-3 shift point (around 300 rpms higher), there's not much you can do about it. Back in the days of Bill Hull, he had the wide-ratio kit and a high-rev kit (don't remember the exact term) and his 1-2 shift ended up being around 6000 rpms--he had to let off to shift to second. I know Lentech flow benches all of his trannys and can get the shift points closer by playing with springs, but like I said "they will be different". For specifics on a Lentech with wide-ratio you should contact Todd Jelle. I will add that when this tranny fails, I will be getting a Lentech w/ wide-ratio.

On a fuel economy note, the non-lockup convertor will suck more gas on the highway. I did manage to average 18.5 mpg for my whole trip to Florida last June.

And Dan, you never really "drove" my car. Although that might have stranded me in Florida after seeing the melted piston.

Oh yeah, the non-lockup convertor is supposed to be less stressful on the transmission input shaft than a lockup convertor. I'd at least call Len and let him personally address your questions.

Whew! Too much info, too hard to put it all in type.

And Dan, you never really "drove" my car.

Yeah Kurt,don't think I wasn't tempted, lol. But I vowed to drive her easy and not leave you stranded in Florida, and by God i'm a man of my word no matter how my right foot ached.

I can't tell you how difficult it was to NOT floor that car!

I want a rain check. :)

Thanks for all the info guys. At this point in time the Lentec doesn't seem to be the route I will go. Considering my car doesn't have that many power adding mods it seems to be a bit of over kill. But I will most likely install the Lentec overdrive delete valve body.

On Saturday I spent some time talking to my friend that owns a Ford repair shop. He believes I blew out a seal to the pump that controls the forward clutches. According to him it isn't all that uncommon. He talked me into doing the trans rebuild myself with his guidance if needed.

Monday evening after work I will start the removal and then rebuilding of the trans. The trans for the better part will be rebuilt to factory specs with a few upgrades. So with a little luck the car should be ready for the Moroso meet.

This won't be my first auto trans rebuild. I successfully rebuilt the auto in my 69 Cougar and helped on a C6 rebuild. But this will be my 1st AOD!

Wish me luck!

Bryan

Dan..........Do you have the contact information for Lentec? I need to contact them on Monday.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

Thanks Dan!
Spoke with Ross at Lentech this morning and placed an order for the AOD Street Terminator Valve Body. Great company to deal with! After talking with them, I am looking forward to the benefits of this Valve Body. Should get the Valve Body by Friday. By then I hope to be elbows deep in the rebuild of this beast. With a little luck it may be done by Sunday night.

Back