4200 RPM stall in a 95 auto

1BADSC

Anyone running 4200 rpm stall speed? Works amazingly well in my buddies Z-28. Car slams straight to 5,500 RPM's and stays right there clear through the 1/4 and loses almost no RPM's during shifts.

I believe this high stall would work great for the sc with a built motor. Just wanted to know what everyone else is running.

Works great on a Z28, because of its solid rear. Launching an SC at 4200RPM sounds like someone's taking a tow truck ride home, unless you had Raxles...

I think most people are runnin' 2200 or 2400rpm stalls somewhere in there. I would think 4500 would be too high on these.

I think it would work really well for a car that is used for strip use quite a lot. And it is not all that bad around town either.

I think it would work really well for a car that is used for strip use quite a lot. And it is not all that bad around town either.

4200 stall is way too high for any SC. We make peak torque at a much lower RPM than a normally aspriated engine like your buddy has. To get the most out of a converter it needs to stall before peak torque.

Most SCs will make peak torque at 2800-3400 rpms. I wouldn't suggest going any higher than 2500 rpms...mine is 2700 and it's a little too high even for the track.

David

Thank you Dave. Wasn't sure if it would work well or not. Where do your RPM's hang when you have it to the floor.

Couple of thing that go along with what Dave said. First, our motors have way more torque than an LS1 and hit peak a lot sooner in the rpm band. Second, 5500rpm is too high for our motors. Even a built motor is about through by that rpm. It's not because of the motor either, it's because of the blower we are stuck with.

SC's do not come close to making more torque than an LS-1 unless there is extensive work done. But either way, if the TQ curve could be moved up it would be very benificial.

1BADSC said:
SC's do not come close to making more torque than an LS-1 unless there is extensive work done. But either way, if the TQ curve could be moved up it would be very benificial.

Stock for stock the 94/95 sc's had 330lb-ft @ 2400 rpms the stock 2002 Z-28 had 340lb-ft @ 4000rpms. in 1998 The Z-28 only had 335lb-ft @ 4000rpms.

Then the LT1's had 325lb-ft @ 2400rpms in 1997.

Not as far off as you'd think.

Back