Loosing Brake Fluid

SonySC

Each day I'm having to add fluid to my 92 Teeves2 ABS reservoir.
I can't see where it is coming from with a flashlight and mirror.
Will I have to get it on a lift with it running and someone pressing the brake? It is leaving a small spot on the ground each morning so that would indicate that it is seeping as the car cools down.
Any suggestions? SonySC@hotmail.com 925-984-3785 Cell

I have had two different mysterious leaks develop on my ABS. One was the pressure sensor on the proportioning valve located on the driver's frame rail right beneath the ABS unit. I replaced the entire valve which was about $80 from Ford. I have since heard that you can replace the oring on the sensor for considerably less.

Then I had another leak on the pressure switch in the ABS itself. This one was not so simple to fix as it seems that the diaphram in the switch was bad. $150 from Ford for a new switch fixed that one. This one I was never able to actually see where the fluid was coming from, so I guessed and I was right.

I just replaced the pressure sensor on my proportioning valve last week. After taxes it came to just under $97. I couldn't find any at Napa, Advance, or Pep Boys, so I had to get one from Ford too. Also, replacing the O-ring doesn't always fix the problem - that wouldn't have worked on mine. Good luck-

Matt

I had brake fluid leak a few weeks ago. I was leaking right from the hose coming from the reservoir. I first just put hose clamps on both ends of that hose. It still leaked. So then, I just replaced the hose entirely. Sure enougth, it was cracked and dry rotted in a few places, especially going into the accumulator. So, if the leak is coming from around your brake fluid reservoir, check the hose.

I was leaking right from the hose coming from the reservoir .... I just replaced the hose entirely.
That's exactly where mine's leaking. Do you rember the size of the hose?

I don't remember the specific size. the hole looked to be about 3/8" or so. I just had spare hose in my shed that I cut and threw on and it worked. I secured it with hose clamps to make sure it wouldn't leak.

FYI- Just to let you know, skin exposure to brake fluid isn't good. It will burn your skin a little. With brake fluid leakin' on me and my thumb pluging up the hole, I started to feel my arm get really warm. I thought it was the temperature on the fluid at first, but It was a cool day and the car hadn't run for two days. Then I realized it was my skin itself getting warm. Its nothing permanent or very serious, just minor discomfort. Just was it off quick after your done.

AND- If your losing alot of fluid while changing hoses, have someone else keep an eye on your reservior level and refill it if necessary. If you get air in the line that would suck and you'd have to bleed the brakes.

Hope this helps,
Metalman

Re: Leak

Had it up on a rack yesterday while installing my new downtubes and cats. Sure nuff it is leaking from the proportioning valve sensor. Waiting for MannySC to send the replacement. Thanks...
George Clarke

Back