BHJ timing marks

Rich Thomson

I have taken a picture of the BHJ with scribed timing markings to identify the ATC and BTC along with the timing marks. I thought it would be helpful to others. I used a dremel to scribe the markings. Feel free to copy it and share it if you think it will help.

BHJ-timing.JPG

Also...

Rich,

That is a great idea to help out with identification. You will also need a 26 deg ATDC mark to install the cam position sensor ASSEMBLY. Its a mark that isn't on the BHJ and must be added by the user in order to properly align the assembly.

Chris

26 degree ATC? that is not even on the scale. I set the cam and crank timing marks and marked the location of the cam pisition sensor before I pulled the timing cover off. Sorta a simple way of verifying reinstallation of the correct timing. This allows me to verify I am reinstalling the cam sensor correctly.

Rich

Well...

Rich,

While what you did would absolutely work with an engine already together (as long as it wasn't cranked any.) When you assemble and engine from a bare block and crank you need to be able to set the crank at 26 deg ATDC in order to put the CAM Sensor Assembly in correctly. Its in Haynes, the Ford Manual, Chilton, etc. Its only needed that one time because you don't have anything to reference it from. It also take a special Alignment tool to hold the outer housing tight with the inner Vane. When I get some time I will scan the procedure from the Ford Manual and Photo the cam alignment tool.

Chris

I read where the newer SCs dont use the plastic balancer cover like my 1990. I just marked the BHJ and Pulley at 0 and used the marks on the plastic cover to line up the 26 ATDC.

Well, I guess you could use timing tape, or I used a small piece of paper and pressed it over the lines on the BHJ and shaded it with a pencil. I was quite confused on how to figure it out til Skeighty Eight people instructed me on how to do it, then finally it stuck. It would be nice if someone might mention to BHJ that we could use some lines on the other side of the balancer......

or is there an actual "logical" reason why they are not there?

Skip

I have the cam alignment tool. A short cut I did is set the cam and crank timing marks lined up then before removing the cam sensor and timing cover marked the outside and inside with a flat blade screw driver and a hammer. I will snap a pic later to post. When I go to reassemble the engine I just align the marks and everything goes back the same way. The trick is knowing where the 2 timing marks align from the outside of the timing cover without removing the timing cover.

Another trick when removing the timing set is to insert a nail into the small hole that holds the spring tensioner back. That is if you are reusing the same tensioner.

Rich

Yeah that nail trick is a good one Rich. I figured that one out after I removed the darn tensioner and its a bugger to get that spring compressed again to insert the nail. :eek:

Back