Are all systems go for Montgomery?

D

Dan Lineback

Are all systems go for Montgomery?

Just wondering how we're looking for the Montgomery meet. I think that 2:30 pm, Central time meeting in Opelika for those coming from ATL, etc should be appropriate, and give us enough time for lunch, etc. Should put us at the track at about 4:30, central time, giving us enough time for Tech. What about accomodations? I think we should be able to find something without a problem after we leave the track Friday night. There are several motels where I-85 meets East Blvd. I'll send out an e-mail to all members this weekend, for those that do not check the BBS.

System go but big exp test tomorrow

Dan,

Friday a go. Saturday oh oh only early morning as kitchen pass runs out with the wife.

Big test however is the towing job tomorrow. I figure if nothing breaks I did good. I have towed several times at 15 to 25% over a tow rating of trucks and SUVs, but SC may be different. I am counting on rolling momentum to make the load on the XB70 un eventful. No sudden starts for sure, just slipping the clutch a little extra and reving up slow and steady.

Glenn

Re: System go but big exp test tomorrow

I have a reservation at the Fairfield Inn for Fri and Sat. It's $49.95/nite. I also have a reservation at the Scottish Inn for $27/n. I'll cancel one of them in the next day or so. However, I only like sleeping with females. I cancelled at the Knight's Inn at $39/n on Mike Donley's recommendation. It's over by I-65 on the other side of town and is not a good area. Is that to meet at 2:30 eastern or central time, and where exactly should we meet at? I'll be hungry!

Meet time is 2:30 pm CENTRAL, or 3:30 Eastern. I'll try to find out what is at the exit as far as eating places are concerned.

I am looking forward to the meet on Friday and Saturday. I get off work at 4:00 Friday and my house is on the route to Montgomery Motorsports Park. Could someone call me on Friday and Saturday at 272-7793 before they leave the hotel so I can be ready to go? I don't want a repeat of the first meet we had here where I could never meet up with anyone.

Mike Donley

Mike,

I'll give you a call on Friday when we get into Montgomery, and Saturday morning when we leave for the track. BTW, do you have a copy of the schedule of events for FFW? If so, what time do gates open Saturday, and is Friday going to be T&T only, or do they have any qualifying schedluled for Friday?

Re: Schedule of Events

Friday, May 18
Vendor Setup, Pit Parking, Tech Inspection........12:00-4:00 PM
MMP Test and Tune.......................................5:00-10:00 PM

Saturday, May 19
Open gates.........................................................10:00 AM
Participant registration..........................................11:00 AM
Time Trials..............................................11:00 AM-2:00 PM
Showdown Qualifying................................12:00 PM-5:00 PM
True Street Cruise..................................................2:00 PM
Begin Eliminations...................................................3:00 PM
Car Show judging completed.....................................3:00 PM
True Street Eliminations...........................................3:30 PM
Car Show Awards Presentation..................................4:00 PM
Alabama Night of Fire and Fury begins.........................5:00 PM
Secure Track.........................................................9:00 PM

Hope this helps,
Mike Donley

Meet time is at Opelika or elsewhere?

Dan and others,

Are we meeting at exit 62, Opelika at 2:30 Central or meeting somewhere else? Look forward to it. Plan to run as many times as I can on Friday. Saturday I am committed, and it looks like a lot of sit around and wait to get one or two runs in.

BTW, I know have a banged up (front end damage) 95 SC 5 Speed, Black with Tan Leather interior (flawless). After I do a solid damage assesment, if I don't fix her, it will be a parts bonanza. Bring your parts requests to Montgomery. This SC runs drives under its own power still.

Glenn

Re: Meet time is at Opelika or elsewhere?

Yeah, that's the plan. 2:30 pm Central, at the Opelika exit. I'll try to find out what kind of establishments are at the exit for exact meeting location.

How'd the XB70 hold up with an extra 4,000lbs behind it?

I'm planning on running Friday, shacking up down there Fri night and going Saturday, however I may not run Saturday and just be a spectator. I'll probably stay thru time trials and head out then, as I have a kegger to attend Saturday night (hell Yeah!). A couple of my freinds (they are twin brothers) are turning 21.

Opelika and the pull with a truck

Very good 2:30 at Opelika.

Had a great trip yesterday. Left Columbus at 6 AM drove to Charlotte and got back by 6:30 PM. Short story is that I pulled it with the wife's SuperCrew truck. Started Saturday with bad omen's. The dolly U-haul gave me had a bent axle that I didn't notice until 30 minutes down the road. the bend was causing the left tire to run at a 10 degree angle. I turned around and took it back. The cords were beginning to show so it definately would not have made it. I was pulling it with the XB70, but the combination of laod plus bent axle may have been disastrous. I lost so much time that I aborted the mission on Saturday. Nice wife of mine, said it was not meant to be and she would rather have me to go with the truck than end up wiped out some where leaving her to collect on life insurance. At least I know she's not ready to take out a contract on me...yet! Otherwise the trip went swell.

The black 5 speed had buckoo potential but we will have to see what happens.

Glenn

Re: Opelika and the pull with a truck

I'll be there, too. I'll leave ATl. at 1:00 and might be a little early. I found out that Montgomery is only 160 ft in elevation as opposed to Atl. Dragway at 1100 ft or so. I hope that results in slightly faster times. I'm planning to stay all day Sat. and maybe stay over Sat nite and drive back Sun. morning.

Re: Opelika

Hey guys, Tech inspection closes at 4:00. If we're going to run Fri. night we better be there before 3:30 or we might not get to run. Let's bump our time at Opelika to 1:30 or 2:00. It's an hours drive to the track from Opelika, so we should be on our way by 2:30.

Roger that

I'll try to be there at 1:30 central. Leaving by 2:30 should get us there before 4, if we can get thru the gates quickly. That's kinda strange to me that tech closes that early. Usually, they remain open even after time runs start, to allow late arrivals. Oh well.

Meeting place

Looks like the closest quick place to eat will be a McDonalds at exit 62. Coming south on 85, exit and turn left (east), and it will be across the bridge (I think it's on the left) Lets plan on meeting there 1:30-2 central time.

Mike Puckett: Do you think we will need reservations at the motel? Which place did you decide on?

Re: Meeting place

I'm holding 2 reservations, one at the Fairfield for $50/nite and one at the Scottish Inn for $27. Mike Donley just advised me to stay away from the South Blvd side and stay on the East Blvd side. The rates may be much lower but there's a reason. So, if I stay at the Fairfield maybe I'll come back Sat Nite after all. McDonald's it is. I'll head straight from work.

Last Minute Bull Sh!t!!!

Well, I got a hold of some new cheap street tires to use on the track so I can spare what's left of my Goodyear GS-Cs from the abuse. They are 235 60 15, mounted on an extra set of LX rims I had. They are slightly shorter than stock, but a little taller than my GYs, and not as wide, but they seem to hook up OK. I put them on and broke em in by doing a couple of good burnouts. They smoke quite well, and seem to grip about as good as my 245's. Gonna run them at about 18-22 psi.

I was doing an under hood visual inspection and found my serp. belt was beginning to fray, and I didn;t have and extra at the house. So I'll have to drop by work and pick one up and get it on tomorrow morning. I already drained the rad. and got the old one off. I guess it's better that I found it now than on I-85 in east Bumblef**k Alabama!

Other than that I am good to go. Gonna get some ice in the morning, and damn it, this time I am bringing sunblock!!! It's gonna be hot, humid. and sunny!

Back