cooling fan robbing my horses

wazmunstr

my cooling fan is being run of the belt that runs everything else. there for its kinda robbing some horses i could use. anyone have any ideas on how i can get it off my belt? would i need an electric motor? what wiring is involved in this?

Your correct SC's came equipped with electric fans not a belt driven fan. The only way it would be belt driven if for some reason the previous owner put an aftermarket fan on there running off the belt.

wazmunstr said:
my cooling fan is being run of the belt that runs everything else. there for its kinda robbing some horses i could use. anyone have any ideas on how i can get it off my belt? would i need an electric motor? what wiring is involved in this?

Wazmunstr; by the looks of your post and sig, it seems as if you are talking about a naturally aspirated 5.0 or 3.8 Thunderbird. This website, the SCCOA, deals mainly with the Thunderbird SC package, in which there were many differences from normal Thunderbirds. I believe you would find the Thunderbird & Cougar Club of America (TCCOA) more useful, www.tccoa.com.

In any case, it is said that a belt driven cooling fan can detract as much as 25 horsepower. In this instance, the addition of an electric fan can make a difference. Understand, however, that many electric fans do not have the flow rate of their belt driven counterparts, and hence may result in special cooling system requirements.

I hope that helps..

lol i know that guys... i never said my car was an SC... you guys just assumed that cause this is a SC forum... well this is the best t-bird foum out there ...and believe me im not the only one in here that has a stock 3.8 ;)

We didn't assume that it was an SC because of the web site.

We assumed it was an SC because you never stated anything otherwise in your original post. Maybe if you had asked your question for a specific car. :)

You could just use an SC fan. I did it on my 5.0 Bird. I made a bracket to hold the fan and wired the fan to a thermostatic fan switch (17.99 and autozone) and a relay. It draws main power straight from the battery with a 30a fuse and is mastered from the ignition so it won't run with the key off. Works great.

Back