Front Suspension Bushings ?

stephens89sc

ok well in the next week or 2 im gonna install new bushings in the front suspension all of them ! in polyurethane

im starting with a new upper control arm which comes with new polyurethane bushings for itself.

next new sway bar bushings, then new tensioner strut bushings front and rear in polyurethane,

then a new lower control arm which comes with new lower control arm to crossmemeber bushings, and new lower strut tower bushings in polyurethane.

now as far as i know that takes care of all the bushings in the front end suspension wise.... am i right?

also i want to put new tie rod ends in can you just buy tie rod ends??? if not what do i get?

FYI
about a month ago I did this upgrade--well actually had it done
any way it included everything front end steering/suspension
components and poly bushings fr+rear
the car rides worse now than it did b4 --mostly highway
and the bugs are still not out of it--its been in for 2 alignments and its getting the road force balance and rim check monday
the total bill for these upgrade was well over 3k and Im not happy
just do plenty of research to be sure ur making the right upgrades for your needs\taste b4 u start forkin out $$$
g/l
Josh

I've also done this upgrade. I didn't do all the bushings yet, but I have been happy with the results. Specifically I didn't do the lower control arm bushings yet as I didn't have the proper press at the time to get the old one out. I did it mostly myself though. After the cost of the front poly bushing set, I only had to pay for an alignment (less than $60 for all 4 wheels). So I've spent right around $200 for the front.

To go along with what Brianas stated, the ride quality will go down. The handling will increase though. You sacrifice one for the other. It all depends on personal preferences. There are times when I do switch the ride from firm to auto simply because you can feel every bump. In auto mode, my car rides like it did in firm before I put on the poly bushings.

I've done this upgrade to 3 SC's all of which are family owned, so i know how each rides. And i performed all the installations

My, 92 auto full poly, f/r with 1&1/4 inch sway bars, and bilsteins, and 17/9 wheels with 255/45 BFGs - runs kinda harsh for most people, but corners like a dream. it is not a matter as to weather the car can handle the turn, it has become weather i want to have my butt slide off the seat (leather). i need velcro pants!! HA

91 auto full poly f/r with regular size wheels and tires, and illimina II's from tokiko. quiet smooth but obviously more harsh than normal ride. but i did have some problems which initially occurred after install. make sure to grease up the sway bar bushings very well, as this is where the loud squeeks will come from, and also make sure that the front sway bar is all aligned and tightend correctly. don't overtighten.
I have found that the front sway bar clamps have broken (cracked). this car has stock sway bars.
I'm currently at school and this car is not being driven as of recently anyway, so this problem has not been resolved, nor had the chance to be considered.

my brother's 90 anny. 5 spd. stock sway bars, tires 245/50/16, with bilsteins all around. full poly front except for driver side steering rack bushing. couldn't invest the time required to change it. rear knuckles poly only. super greased front sway bar.
this car rides like a dream!! smooth has hell. minimal squeeks over speed bumps and the like. and corners quiet well.
Also, this car has new front spring mounts. (this is something i wish i did, they are about twice as thick as the old ones.)

Note. both the 90 and 92 SC have aggressive alignment specs.
I think i covered it all. please pose questions.

as you can see, the ride quality does somewhat differ from car to car. and yes these cars are all set up slightly different when it comes to the entire suspesion.

Brianas, just guessing, but i think the person that installed your bushings did something wrong. either that or your alignment guy sucks. i went for alignment with one of the cars and it pulled more when they were done, than when i took it in. try and find a person with a reputation for alignments, and then ask them if you can watch, and then ask lots of questions. after the problems with the alignment i had to go asking around to find the expert that had originally aligned my car. he had moved to another city so i tracked him down.

i think thats it
jim

Back