ABS Unit gone bad

swest90

Hello My ABS unit has seemed to stop pumping and therefore I have no brakes. I have done several searches on the forum and have seen many links to a guide by Mr Duffy Floyd. Unfortunately those links are dead. If someone has that guide handy or a new link to that it would be much appreciated. I would like to try to debug the system although I expect i will just have to replace the whole unit. If I do have to replace the unit is there also a guide on this or some pointers on the install? or should I send it in to have fixed?

Any help would be great.

Thank you very much
Shawn West

I can send you the docs...

Email me and I can send you the documents, diagrams, etc. Have you tried replacing the ABS relay? It is located up next to the firewall on the passenger side. Look for the one that is dark brown and probably has a label that says ABS Pump. There is also a fuse for the ABS in the main power distribution panel (over by the alternator).
Anyway, get in touch with me at ganeco@adelphia.net and I will send you the info....

Thank you for your quick responses and sorry for my late reply.

First off thank you very much for the great article Duffy Floyd.

Yes I have replaced the relay I had that problem several months ago. The pump itself sounds like its having a very hard time. I ordered and recieved a new abs unit from prior reman. The problem is that my friends brother that works for ford was goning to install it for me, but he decided not to. How hard is it to remove & install this unit? Or is this something i should pay for? And lastly can i find some instructions on how to put this unit in somehwere? I have the haynes book but it just gives an overview of the unit.

Thank you very much
Shawn West

Replacement procedure (from memory)

Its not too hard to replace the hydraulic unit. It took me about an hour and a half in my driveway without any assistance (and I was working at slow pace). First thing to do is disconnect the battery, remove the windshield cowling and disconnect the electrical connectors from the old unit. Then go under the dash and disconnect the clip that holds the brake light switch on the brake pedal and the connectors for the cruise control (if applicable). Be sure to take note of how the switch bracket and switch are hooked up so that you can get them back on correctly. Disconnect the actuator "plunger rod" from the brake pedal. At this point you can loosen the nuts on the studs coming through the firewall that secure the pump. Once they are loose, go back up top and very carefully disconnect the brake lines from the pump. After they are disconnected, go back under the dash and remove the nuts from the studs. Now you can remove the hydraulic pump from the engine bay. You will have to play with it a little to get it free from the mess of vacuum lines, wires, etc., but with some patience and careful turning and twisting, it will slide right out. Replacement is the reverse...slide the new unit in, put the nuts on the studs, but leave them loose. (This will help in re-attaching the brake lines). From the top, attach the brake lines (be carefull not to pinch them, or crossthread the fittings), and hook up the electrical connectors. From underneath, tighten down the nuts on the mounting studs and reconnect the brakelight switch bracket and the actuator. You will need to bleed the brakes (or have them bled at a shop), and test the brake lights to make sure the switch is functioning properly when you step on the pedal. You may need to fiddle with the brakelight switch some to get the pedal response set right.
I don't think I have forgotten anything, but it has been a while since I did this.

Back