too much air can make engine die?

darkstar_one

ok.. i was on the freeway... my cone filter fell off the intake and the car started buckling and the CEL comes on and the engine dies... i popped the filter back on and the CEL light goes away and car runs fine.. used some GUM to hold filter in place.... can too much air being sucked in kill the engine??/

Probably turbulance in the intake pipe caused the MAF signal to go screwy and since the signal "generated" no longer corresponded to what the EEC expected for the TPS signal it threw a CEL. Why it died could be cause the AF went way lean with the screwy signals into the EEC. Just a SWAG...might tell more if you read for codes assuming a hard code was set.

why are these cars so unpredictable with air flow. I know many people (F-body drivers) who remove the airfilter when at the track, and the car runs perfectly fine.

Any idea why some cars take well to this while other fall on their face.

Your Fbody friends do not remove the entire air box. In this case the cone filter constitutes the entire air box. On many cars the MA meter is not at the end of the air pathway. Any amount of tubing or ducting directing the flow of air into the meter will enable it to function without a filter. The more straight or "engineered" ducting prior to the meter, the more accurate the signal.

Back