Two Problems...

Billabong089

Ok one question, what is the correct radiator cap? Mine has a 13lb one on it, thats how I got the car but what i can't seem to figure out is, my overflow tank will eventually empty out over a month time , but the radiator will stay full right to the cap...( I've driven like a month with the overflow pretty much empty), The car never overheats or anything, the oil is clean ( no antifreeze) , the antifreeze is good ( no oil ), no white smoke, no signs of head gaskets or anything likethat and considering its been doing it since Last January I dont think thats the problem, there has to be a leak somewhere and I cant find it lol, theres no visable leaks, there is dried up coolant on the sides of the radaitor, like you can tell it leaked or something from the plastic end caps on top of the rad, but It doesnt look like it leaks now ( sorry for the long RUN-ON sentence lol )

Second problem, my speedometer is being really crazy, last year like last winter, the speedometer would jump up and down when I drove, then spring time came and it went away, all spring and summer it was fine , pefectly fine, then its getting colder out again and its goin up and down and all that so what could be the problem? If I accerlerate it will read my speed but when I get off the gas it goes crazy.

thanks guys

Last edited:
Solution # 1 16lb rad cap

Solution # 2 put duct tape over speedo in cooler months....
J/K I don't know about that one.

Jeff

I had the same problem when I bought my car. When you pull the speed sensor out of the transmission there is a little gear on the end of it. My problem was that the gear had a flat spot worn on it so the speed sensor couldn't get an accurate reading. Also, check your cruise control - mine wouldn't work until I replaced this gear. It was like $8 from FORD, and I did the sensor while I was under there too.

Good luck,

Matt

how would the cap cause coolant to leak out or disappear from the overflow?

I wonder if the previous owner did that because the higher pressure caused the radiator to leak from the end caps arggh that better not be the case lol.... just thinkin here...

#1 - Wouldn't a loose fitting between the overflow and the radiator let fluid leak out of the overflow, but not the radiator? I don't really know about the cap as the solution, though. Just thought a check of the connections might be in order.

#2 - Have no idea.

Back