Intake install

Crusader

I plan on installing a fresh air induction intake in a couple of weeks.
I figured it would be best if I got a bigger MAF and Throttle Body too. Would kinda defeat the purpose of getting a bigger intake tube if those two parts were still stock size.

My question is how exactly would I install the 70mm T-body that Super Coupe Performance offers.

Can I just unbold the stock t-body and bolt the new 70mm one right on?

I'd like to install the new MAF, T-Body, and Intake without taking it somewhere to be done. I don't have money to throw away on labor for a job I could probably do myself. I would greatly appreciate any helpful hints anyone would be able to throw my way.
Thanks =)

these are pretty easy upgrades to do urself
the tricky part will be the t-body--u must bypass the coolant lines that run thru the stock unit --I used a small pieces of 3/8"id pipe about 2" long and a couple hose clamps--everything else is pretty much straight forward--unbolt all the old stuff(airbox/air silincer/maf/intake tube/t body) and install new
this is also a good time to replace ur IAC and tps if you need 2
have u already upgraded ur exhasut--u will get a better effect from these upgrades if the exhaust is done
g/l
Josh

Would you be able to clarify what I need to do about those coolant lines?
I'm not too sure I completely understand. Are they in the way?

On early style SC's there is a coolant line that runs through the throttle body, (on the bottom). You simply have to 'bypass' the throttle body by 2 different ways, 1) connect the 2 hoses together or 2) install a new hose that replaces both hoses (to and from the throttle body). I'm not sure when Ford discontinued the use of the throttle bodies that had the coolant passage, but I know that my '89 has them. Other than the coolant lines, it is a direct bolt up. One thing to keep in mind as well is to check the inlet plenum diameter with the TB diameter. You will get more out of the TB if you match the inside diameter of the plenum. I'm not sure how large the plenums are, but you might want to port it slightly. You don't have to though. I'd definately port it if you go to a 75mm TB though.

This is definately a job you could do yourself. I'd have my 9 year old son help me and do all but the porting (and the proper torque specs). That is, if he'd be interested in it... It's a faily simple job and would rate it no higher than a 3 out of 10 for a beginner.

Thank you both for answering my questions. I feel pretty confident that I can do this now.

I just have one last question about the porting of the intake plenum.
I think I read somewhere that you can port that out with a hand grinder or something. How would I go about matching it up.
The main reason I'm going with a 70mm TB and not a 75 is because I'd have to get the intake plenum ported with the 75mm TB.
If it's possible for me to do myself then I'll go for it.

Thanks again for all of your help. You are making this job a lot easier for me =)

To match up the TB with the plenum simply bolt up the TB to the plenum. Open the throttle and trace the inside diameter of the TB. That will give you a close approximation of how far you will need to port it out to. A hand held grinder (dremel) should be sufficient to port it, but you will need to be careful not to remove too much material, (aluminum). You'll port it to the outside edge of the line that you traced. In addition you will want to "blend" that porting further into the plenum. As far as I know, this just takes a bit of practice to get done nicely. I wouldn't worry too much about how it looks unless you're going for all-out performance with a heavily modified engine.

Being your first attempt at this, I would remove the supercharger and disconnect the inlet plenum from the back of it. This may be more work, but you will ensure that you don't get any metal shavings into the supercharger. I've seen it done while it was all on the car, but I don't think I'd do that. I'd take it off and port it while it is all off. But that's just me.

porting

I kept a shop vac running for the big stuff as I did the grinding and stuck an oil soaked rag in the plenum to catch the little stuff.

The gasket will work if it has a 70mm or 75mm diameter, whichever you decide to go with. If it is smaller, then you will also have to trim the gasket back too.

j rick kirby

No at all, I've never done it so I don't know for sure. I was just making sure that all the basics are covered and everything is thought of. For instance, what if crusader is getting a used TB from some one. I wouldn't use that gasket again. I'd get a new one. And I'm not totally sure that I'd be able to locate on with the proper diameter. That's all. I'd hate for him to go through the work of porting based upon the gasket and then the gasket wasn't quite the right size. That's all. I didn't mean to offend you. I just want as accurate and simple explanations as possible.

(It's all because of my military experience...I've found that I have to "dumby proof" everything I do so there is no confusion...it just translates across.)

WHAT TO DO ???????????????

I TALKED WITH "T BIRD 4 ER..................HE SAID THAT NOTHING HAS TO BE CHANGED TO GO TO A 70 TB................MAY WANT TO CHECK AROUND BEFORE DOING ALL THAT EXTRA WORK .FAST FREDDIE:cool: :D

someone else who hasn't done it

Yes the bolt pattern is the same but the opening is less than 70mm.If you only care about the coolness factor then bolt it on.If performance matters then it needs to be ported to be the same or larger than 70mm.This is a very simple mod the complication comes when people respond whose imput is based on hearsay and not experience.

Thank you for all of your help guys.
I think I'm going to try it while leaving the SuperCharger in the car.
I have very little skill with cars and I don't trust myself taking apart the SuperCharger apart.

I'll try what you suggested, rick, and put an oil soaked rag into the plenum to catch any small particles.
Do i soak it in motor oil though? And wouldn't it be bad to get oil into the plenum?

I'll try it anyway. It'll be a couple of weeks before I'm ready to buy the parts anyway. Thanks again for all the advice guys.

plenum porting

pour motor oil on a rag and make sure it's every where and wring out excess and you're ready to go.The other thing that works well if you have one are these peanut shaped carwash sponges.If you have one that's worn out tear it in half and oil it down.Use your new gasket as a template and use a nail to etch the outline.

Back