Anyone interested in riding co-pilot in the XB70?

X

XB70

Anyone interested in riding co-pilot in the XB70?

Gents,

Making a special trip to Charlotte, NC to tow back a wounded SC, Black 95 5 Speed on Saturday 5/12/01. Yes I am towing it back with my SC! Yes towing by using its custom DRAW-TITE hidden hitch. Unfortuantely Wife says she won't give up her truck for my stupid SC obsessions.

I figure 5 hours up, and 6.5 hours coming back.

Any bets on weather or not the XB70 will handle another 4,000 lbs in tow rolling on the Interstate? 4th gear all the way on the highway with 1:1 ratio should not stress her out to much while towing. I know I know, the owner's manual says no towing...., but that's because FORD likes to cover its cooperate ass against the kind of driver that would lug the engine in 5th at 1,800 rpms and push the throttle into high boost for hours on end. I plan to pull vacuum most of the way.

Leaving here at the customary 0500 hours to be in Charlotte by 10 AM. Do I have any takers? Wish me luck. If the HG's don't go on this one, will they ever?

Glenn

Re: Anyone interested in riding co-pilot in the XB70?

I've made that drive an endless number of times. Keep in mind that there's lots of up and down rolling hills through most of S. Carolina. It's my wife's birthday and I promised her a lobster dinner at Chop's in Buckhead so I'll have to beg off.

Mike, Thanks for the advice of hills

Appreciate the heads up and will recon the road on my way up. Not to worried about pulling up hills as I am going down them without building up to much momentum. As long as I stay in 3rd and 4th most of the way, it should be okay.

If you get a frantic call on Saturday its due to bad JuJu. I expect be passing thru Atlanta southbound before 4 PM. All I need know is a relatively mild day.

There will be plenty of data collection going on. Sure glad I have mechanical water temp and oil gauges now.

Glenn

sounds like me

I would go but I have to work this weekend. I've been all over the US buying these cars. Really. I think it's fun. Maybe next time Glenn.

Rob

Re: sounds like me

Hey Robert, what happened to ya FF Wknd? We missed you. Only 2 of us on Fri. and 3 on Sat. Can you go to FFW in Montgomery on the 19th?

Back