Cobra Rear Axles ?

SuperCoupeSC91

Can we use Mustang Cobra Rear Axles ?
is it the same length as ours ?
i know we can use there rear diff and and hubs..
just not sure about length, anyone ever look into this ?
would it be an upgrade for ours ?
Just something i was thinking of because i remember someone saying about the for CV joints are discontinued...

Alex LaChance

My Dyno Run
Pics + Video
220 RWHP (So Far)
325 RWT (So Far)
http://www.bristoldyno.com

My Mods + Future Mods
http://www.tccoa.com/rides/lacale.shtml

My Website With Pics + Others
http://community.webshots.com/user/supercoupe

If I'm not mistaken, the cobra (I'm thinking '03) has a 31 spline axle where we have a 29. I think before '03 though everything should be the same, but I don't know for sure. I'm just going off memory here.

No...the only transferable parts from a 99 Cobra rear IRS are the hubs (if you are going to change to the 4.5" bolt pattern) The rotors (if you are going to change to the mustang rear brakes and you need to fab. a bracket for the calipers as well for that) and the center pumpkin or differential which is a direct bolt in and has a housing made from AL). The later model Cobras went to a 31 spline setup so in that case nothing is directly teransferable.

99 Cobras use a 28 spline diff.

All later Cobras use a 31 spline diff.

All IRS Cobras use 28 spline hubs.

The Cobra half-shafts are about 1.3" too short to use on the MN-12.

Last edited:
With the shorter stang shafts being 1.3.I wonder if it would be worth making
shorter top and lower arms to narrow the rear end for,so wider wheels could
be ran on the rear of a SC.

I haven't looked just a thought.I have been thinking of making some lighter
and stronger arms for my rear end when I get to that part of the SC.I wanted
to put some machVIII arms on the rear but have not found any to use.So I have
been kicking around fabing some out of some 4130 I have.Anyone think the rear
could be narrowed the 1.3 inch.each side with the stang shafts, aluminum center section,
stang hubs.You know just swap in the hole stang rear end,with new arms.

Any one got a idea of how big a can of worms this swap would be,for a narrowed rear.

Thanks Randy

Last edited:
Thats an interesting idea! Especialy for guy's wanting that Pro Street look or guy's runing drag cars. A shorter axle would have less twist also.

It's an interesting thought, but I wonder if the wheel wells wouldn't then be the limiting factor.

It'd probably be much easier to just transplant the entire Cobra subframe somehow, then to start fabbing shorter arms, and dealing with attendant geometry issues.

Hmmmmm.......

I have looked all over for a '99 Cobra differential. I have also looked for a lincoln mark VIII differential. I have had no luck on the internet. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong places. Any ideas?:confused:

dirtybird91

DFL , I would think the wheel wells would be easy to deal with if that wide
of a tire would be used to set inward that far.Or wheel off set.

If the stang subframe could be used,or be moded to be used.Do you think
just the stang lower and uper arms could be used?

It would be nice to get some 315+ series tires on the back.And have all the tire inside
the fender.

I had talked with DOUG FRANKLIN about making up a upper and lower a-arms
for the SC.He & I wanted the single upper bolt mounted arm to be replace, with a a-arm.
Making the rearend of the SC have a upper & lower a-arms.We thought this would help stabilize
the rear end for his roadracing and my drag/roadracing.And help reduce some of the wheel hop.

If the IRS stang shafts are 1.3 shorter.This would give the SC a 3.1inch narrower rearend.
That would seam to be about right for some descent size rubber under the back of a SC.
With the proper wheel offset.

I beleive Keny Brown has made a SC sub-frame,and now makes a sub-frame for the stangs
so maybe he would know if the swap is possible.As far as swapping the sub-frames from a
stang to a mn12.

Randy

Damn you guy's for bringing this up!! LOL!!!
Now you got me wanting to do this! Like I dont have enough to do as it is. I know how to take care of the wheel wells, its called WHEEL TUBS!!! YEAH!!:D Contacting Kenny Brown is a good idea Randy when do you think you might hear something from him????:D

Already looking into getting stronger shafts made at stock SC lenght..Hey Doug talk to fred yet?":O)/..If Not Im going to pester him somemore

I think if I could find a 03 cobra in the junkyard that I could buy .
I would try and just swap the motor and hole drive train.
A blown mod motor and a narrowed rear end sounds nice.

RANDY

dirtybird-

will be heading to my local yard to pull the interior for my car-they have a 98 LSC sitting there-I believe that the IRS parts are there and in good shape.

If you need the parts, let me know.

Randy N Connie said:
If the stang subframe could be used,or be moded to be used.Do you think
just the stang lower and uper arms could be used?

If the IRS stang shafts are 1.3 shorter.This would give the SC a 3.1inch narrower rearend.
That would seam to be about right for some descent size rubber under the back of a SC.
With the proper wheel offset.

Randy

The Cobra arms can't be used on the SC subframe.

1.3 x 2 = 2.6

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Already looking into getting stronger shafts made at stock SC lenght..Hey Doug talk to fred yet?":O)/..If Not Im going to pester him somemore

No Damon, I haven't had time. I'm home today, I'll try to give him a call.

DLF, So you think its not possible to install a complete IRS stang rear end in a SC.
Even with some moding on the SC sub-frame or.To come up with
a narrower rearend for wider tires.

RANDY

Anything's possible.

I think that the mounting points are significantly different, and that it would be a difficult swap.

I also believe that the geometry of the Cobra IRS is inferior to that on the SC.

If you want larger wheels, get some with the proper offset, and relocate the emergency brake cables.

It'd be a lot cheaper.

DLF, ok thanks for your thoughts.I haven't had the chance to look
under a stang.Just a thought,for wider tires.Because I plan on putting
a 03 cobra motor in my SC if I can find a wrecked cobra.

Randy

Randy N Connie said:
DLF, ok thanks for your thoughts.I haven't had the chance to look
under a stang.Just a thought,for wider tires.Because I plan on putting
a 03 cobra motor in my SC if I can find a wrecked cobra.

Randy

This eBay auction has a pic of the Cobra IRS

Oh that looks very doable to me! True some mounting plates would have to be fabbed up but thats no biggie. We street rodders do stuff like this all the time.:)

Back