1990 xr7 supercharger on 98 3.8 mustang...

Mustang_Steve

hello, I was wondering if anyone has swaped a supercharger off a 90 xr7 and put it on a 3.8 mustang? I believe the engen's are nearly the same but its the intake manifold that has me baffled. I was wondering if the supercharger would bolt right down on the stock mustang intake or if I need a special adapter or a new manifold. I can have all the parts associated with the xr7 to use on my instalation. So right now my mechanic and I are at a stand still trying to figure out what to do and if it will work.
thanks for your time and I hope for your reply.

supercharger swap

If you were to put the cougar supercharger in your mustang you would need the heads off the cougar, the intake, and everythig associated with the supercharger. I don't know how all the pully setup would work out though. The 3.8's in the two cars should be similar enough to make the swap relatively easily. I have a 96 3.8 mustang myself and have thought about the same swap many times so let us know if you are successful. The computer in the mustang is another question. I don't know how it would react to the supercharger. I put a K&N air filter in my car and the check engine light came on. Once that happens the computer automatically retards the timing and makes other adjustments until you reset it. The best places to get solid information would be at www.supercoupeperformance.com phone # 513-697-6501, or at www.coymiller.com ph. # 540-433-0545. Coy Miller builds HiPo 3.8's so that would be your best bet for info.

If you can get your hands on the whole xr7 motor, that would be the better choice. I'm putting a sc motor in my brothers mustang. we were first gonna just do the supercharger conversion, but found a parts car and i'll be using the whole motor. since the sc blocks are thicker/stronger and the internals are made for supercharged application. That way running higher boost on the sc motor wouldnt be as much of a problem as running it on a stock mustang 3.8L
The mustang computer will also need a chip to compensate for larger injectors, a dyno tune would probably be best as well, which is what i'll be getting.
I havent completed the swap yet, just finished tearing apart the sc, so shortly i will begin.

Justin

thanks guys! I can pretty much have the whole engen but I think a lifter went in the sc engen because it has a really bad knocking. I was thinking about porting the heads or just buying new ones I'm not exactly sure yet. I was told that the computer should reset for the supercharger but I'd have to get a chip no matter what I do so thats no big deal. One thing that has been keeping me up till 3 am every night is how to mount the supercharger. Will it just mount right down on the stalk mustang manifold or do I need to modify it. I looks like it will just slap right in place I'll fing out later on today after work. The pully's will line up 100% perfect the only thing I need to do is remove the stalk idler and idler mount off the altinator, so that's no big deal. I guess I'll rip the supercharger off the sc doner car and take a look. I'll tell more later if I find anything out.

Attachments

• mark4.jpg
    mark4.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Back