Top Speed of 100mph with 3:73 gears in my 92 auto?

dead_lx

Hey guys i noticed after switching from factory 3:27's to 3:73's i got a lot more acceleration (which I expected). Highway driving suffered though (which I also expected). Would gettin an aftermarket chip give me an increased top speed at all by removing the rev and speed limiters?

Top speed of 100mph with 3:73 gears in my 92 auto?

Something really does not sound right with this at all. An automatic transmission has a .67 overdrive if I remember right. So 3.73x.67 comes out to about a 2:49 final drive ratio. I have 3:73 gears in my 1990 automatic and at 65 mph. It turns about 2150-2200 rpms. At 100 mhp. it isnt even breathing hard. Are you sure you spedo is not off?

Yeah..something isn't right. I've got 3.73s in mine and even with a non locking converter I can get to a little over 120 in 3rd gear without hitting the rev limiter.

David

Ok here's my setup:

ZR Intake
Custom exhaust 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 to 2 1/4 with vortex mufflers
Transmissoin rebuilt with the art carr kit
2300 rpm lockup stall
art carr shift kit
ford racing 3:73 gears

Around 100mph the rev limiter is going off (upshift sign with the dinging sound). I wonder if the shop that put in my rear end forgot to put in the new speedometer gear i gave them.

Top speed of 100mph with 3:73 gears in my 92 auto?

Get somebody to pace you at a few differant speeds it should be real obvious. It is not hard to get at the spedo gear to change it. If they didnt change it that would probably explain the problem, but I am no expert.

Around 100mph the rev limiter is going off (upshift sign with the dinging sound).
The upshift light is not the rev limiter. The rev limiter actually cuts fuel to the engine....you will know when you hit the rev limiter. As for the upshift light, that sounds about right. I'm pretty sure mines lit up as I'm going through the traps at the end of the 1/4 -- which is just over 100mph.

from what i understand, the upshift light comes on (mine right at 94 with stock gears) and after a certain amount of time cuts some injectors out of the mix. Hasn't happened to me before tho.....

doesnt the upshift light come on when ur in 3rd and u need to shift to od? not sure and one question? anybody wanna give an estiment on a tranny rebuild? my od doesnt work anymore, hey gone 14s havent been on in a while but remember me ??? the black sc u met at the liquor store? u were on ur bike

Back