Voltage too high?

MarineMustanger

Recently I've noticed my voltmeter is showing voltage readings between 15.6 and 16.3. It used to be between 13.6 and 14.4. I've never had a reading that high before, but everything seems to be working fine.

Should I be concerned? It is the original alternator in my 93SC. Could the internal voltage regulator being going bad? I haven't really done anything that would have changed the voltage output.

Thanks for any input.

Yeah the reg could be going bad, but so could your voltmeter, see if you can double check it with another meter. Even a hand held Multimeter on the battery with the engine running would work.

The voltages you mentioned SHOULDN'T have hurt anything. I think most all automotive electronics are supposed ot be rated to withstand something like 24 volts for a short time without damage. But if the voltage creeps higher you could damage something if you keep driving like that.

Hook up the voltmeter with clips and pull the postive cable with the car running - I bet you'll see that voltage jump up to ~20 volts.

As the regulator goes bad the battery can hold the voltage down but it gets overcharged:( by it. When you pull the positive cable the true output of the regulator is shown.

Aaron

I checked voltage at the battery and the starter solenoid while the car was running, and both were at 14.5 volts, while my guage showed 15.3. I think my guage is off, unless someone thinks there is something else going on?

14.5 sounds about right.

As Pastera pointed out the battery can hold down fluctuating voltages. Checking as he said with the engine running and pulling the negative battery cable might be one last check to be sure. But my feeling is everything is OK.

Back