Is the SCP Dynomax Cat back a good choice?

rolltide

I see that Super Coupe Performance.com has a Dynomax cat back set up with the super turbo mufflers. Is this a good performance upgrade if I don't plan on doing too much to my car. I want to install pullies and a magneflow res. I want a nice setup that is not too loud and does not drone on the highway, but has a nice tone. Thanks. Where can I hear it maybe?

My system is custom not from SCP, but it is a magnaflow res to 3" back to dual 2.5" and dynomax superturbos. This file is with the stock cats and it is very quiet. I'm happy with the way it sounds, but borlas sound 2x as nice if you have the money. You can also get the dynomax cat-back from places like summit or jegs.
click
-Julian

The SCP system is a good setup, but I wouldnt call it a dynomax catback. Dynomax has its own catback, using a 2.5" mandrel bent center section. SCP uses a 3" center and should flow more, but is much more expensive. If you have a bunch of extra cash laying around go for the SCP, but for a mostly stock car the dynomax kit should give you about the same benefit and save you $500 (only $199 at jegs.com).

What I did on mine was downtubes from tbird88 (do a search or check parts for sale for those) to a 18" magnaflow resonator to a dynomax catback. Only cost me around $500 including parts and installation. Nice tone, not too loud. Improved my trap speed to 95.45 from 93.0 (along with a raised top and bigger MAF).

-Travis

cat back

The catback set up I saw at SCP was $215. Is that good. How are the Borlas better than the Dyno's. I may just get a resonator, high flow cats and my own mufflers and have a shop put in the piping. How much are the quieter Borlas. Thanks.

SCP sells the dynomax cat back now.

For a price click to summitt.com

borlas sound amazing, closest thing to a v-8 sound you will get. but they are $100 per muffler so...

-Julian

The dynomax catback it an OK system..A lil better then stock but not by much. I had the SCP exhaust with kooks headers and loved it..Its for sale as well..However Im not shipping it and am located in NYC:O)

hmm...

it says on super coupe performance that the single 2.5 inch pipe will start to restrict motors with over 250 hp, so if you plan on modding your car i might try the SCP system or custom. does any one know what sounds the best, Flowmaster res. back, dynomax res. back, or SCP cat back? i think im going with some jet hot coated hookes mid lengths, 2.5 inch downpipes with high flow cats, and a SCP cat back if it sounds good.

I'm sure that would sound great.
Exhaust has been talked to death on this site so do a search and start sorting the 1000 hits.

My ideal system would be kook's long tubes to dual 2.5" 18"magnaflow res with dual 2.5" outlets (<-don't know if this is even made) and back to long dual borla xs mufflers. This would be a really deep sounding high flowing exhaust.

If you have the money get the borlas. I should have saved longer for them. Flowmasters will be somewhat loud, and if you ask me they are ment for v-8's not sixers.

Keep the exhuast quite and listen to the blower whine. You will get more looks!

-Julian

Borlas

Ok, here is what I want to go with:
replace the cats with high flow cats
18" Magnaflow res
2 Borla Mufflers

I will have a shop make the piping I guess. I have read about 2 1/4 downtubes. Will these make a nice difference and who sells them and how much. I hope this set up will sound real nice without droning. Maybe a nice deep tone.

By the way, which mufflers should I get from Borla. On summitracing.com I saw they offer several. Thanks.

Rolltide great idea..Go with the Borla Xs..Husker performance exhaust online sells em..WHen I hadmy first SC exhaust done they made me teh downtubes so You can just go that route

Hey guys, i also have a question.. I've been looking for a place to do 2.5" (DUAL) to 3" (SINGLE) to 2.5" (DUAL) "mandrel bend" but no one will do it and the one that do are far and i can only imagine what i'll end up paying. :( so i was considering the "Dynomax" cat back system.. how good is that setup ? anayone have it on their car ???? i want my exhaust as quiet as possible.. and my SC is completely stock... need some help guys.. i am stuch here and dunno what to do.. :confused: :( Thanks for your help..

Supercoupe 007~For your stock car, go with the dynomax setup. It's quiet & cheap.

As for the Borla's. Are they really that much of a difference in sound? My car sounds pretty rumbly right now with my Kooks mid's & SCP the rest of the way. By changing the Turbo mufflers to Borla xs, it will sound even better? I think I may order them today. I may have to get some Kooks long tubes as well. With that combo & the Magnaflow 18", I am suddenly curious as to how much better it would sound.

The one thing I would hate to do is make those changes and it not sound better. Right now, it almost sounds like a 60's muscle car. Less the decibals of course. But a good cancerous throaty sound.

Anthony

There was a dyno comparison a few months back with decibal readings on a worked 302 v8 stang..Decibal wise borla xs were at the bottom while power output wise they were uptop..SO we swiched teh flowmasters from my freinds cougar to the borlas and he just loved the sound difference..Reallty couldnt tell power wise//Do I ordered some up for my SC:O)

Hey guys, i got a question. I was looking at the Dynomax website and i saw something that caught my attention and made me worried.. It says that the T-Bird/Cougar cat-back system is for 1992-1997 w/ 8 Cylinders.. I have a 90 5-Speed.. does this mean i am screwed??? :confused: :(

supercoupe007

yep! the dynomax system is designed for the cars with the revised gas tanks(92' & up). if you really wanted the dynomax kit, you would have to change out your gas tank.

the kit is not just for v-8's either. if you go to the dynomax website & look at the pdf they have, they show the design for the early gas tanks, but i emailed them and they said they discontinued them due to lack of sales.

andrew:cool:

Better flow

Everything I see here is forgetting one of two defects in SC exhausts. Yes the restriction between resonator and pre-muffler is biggest restriction. But the cats are 90 degree bends. They need to go. No cat back system gives relief to them. I went with custom 2 1/2" downs into a pair of 2 1/2" free flow cats into a flowmaster dual 2 1/2"in single 3" out muffler with custom pipe back to a 3" Y pipe and 3" tubes into a pair of 3" twister free flow mufflers. It flows great, has a nice rumble at idle, awesome sound until about 2500 then is little too much at WOT. But I have noticed a tremendous increase in power and acceleration. I have to watch tach a lot more now. Have gone red line couple times lately in second. I opened air box at same time. Next project is raised top. Anyone got a spare top?

ThunderCoupe94 said:
T-bird4vr, Your Exhaust sounds awesome!! Thats how i want mine to sound.. Nice work man

Jay

Thanks Jay. Those superturbos are a good option for a 1/3 of the price of borla xs.

-Julian

Super turbos are quieter and cheaper then the Borla xs..However they dont last as long nor flow as good..EVerything is a compramise however..If I ever get my SC running again Ill send some audio clips ofmy exhaust..FUll lenght kooks..3 inch true dual with cats, Borla XS mufflers and Magnaflow resonator

Back