Crazy Idea...?!?!

1969Mach1

I was reading how they've made a Turbo package for the new Cobra. I was wondering, has anyone taken the Supercharger off a T-bird to throw in a turbo. As the engine is already made to handle boost, would it be a impossible thing to do? I'd be curious on what outcomes would be of it. I know this one may be dumb but I've heard of people who have twin charged there cars (both a super and turbo on a car, although I don't know if they actually went for with doing it and/or what happen to the car).

But basicly am I just an idiot for asking if it can be done?
-Sam.

Can easily be done, we just tend to restrict ourselves to basically stock setup. Don't know why but we do. It also isn't cheap to pay for a custom turbo setup. Probably at least $7500 to do it right. Then add in drivetrain upgrades and all other intake upgrades and exhaust upgrades and it runs into money. Although you can do it and make more power & run faster than a lot of our top guys. I know If I did it from the very beginning I would be saving money.

I've pondered the same thing only keeping the sc too, then decided I really don't wanna spend that much money nor find room to fit the turbos under there too

I guess it would really depend on how much boost pressure the turbo would be putting out. I know the SC setup for the Mustangs only puts out around half what our SC does.

From everything I've read the difference is a purpose built motor (our T-Birds) versus a bolt on for a N/A motor. If it's a unit you can strap on a stock motor I doubt it would be worth the time.

Well let's see what it will cost. I haven't listed it out so I am curious.

Turbos(two from a Mitsubishi or something) - $750w/rebuild
Wastegates and BOV - $750 (need good ones)
Exhaust manifolds (custom) - $1000 (kind of a guess)
Tubing - $500
IC - $1000

This would be good for 600 hp easy. You would of course need all the other stuff. Like the MAF, TB, exhaust, EEC Tuner, Underdrive pullies.

Let's say that is $1250

Engine build and head work, will need it at these power levels. $5000

Tranny - $3000

Well, if you start with this in mind it will get you going a lot faster and cheaper. What are we thinking? Well I don't know, maybe we just like the sound of that little roots blower spinning. I know I have spent more than this and have nowhere near the amount of power this engine would make. I am also sure some of these costs can be cut down a little but it is always best to guess high when you are building.

I would think the difficulty level of designing a turbo kit is highly overrated. The piping would be the hardest part of the equation, but there is plenty of room to work with. Also, the base model 3.8 upper and lower intake manifolds should accomodate the flow, if you're looking to eliminate some fabrication costs. The rest relies on a good fuel system, and drivetrain. If your an M5R2 2 driver, you're saving cash for just a good clutch. After 375hp, I would fortify the bottom end, for added insurance. Headwork would help a lot, if you're looking to become a top-dawg SCer. The hardest part is saving the cash - the rest is cake.

hmmm..... I know where I can get a T3/T4 Turbo from a GN for a pretty good price... pondering it being a start. I wouldn't mind to just run the turbo with low boost and see how things go with it. Hmm.... So many choices..

-Sam.

After my beast is back together, should she decide to , idunno say, blow a rod, spin a bearing, or something extrodinary, i'm going the route of a custom turbo. I'v always figured a single turbo custom setup would run about $2000. Most expensive thing would be the turbo manifold setup. A used 20-30g turbo would only be about 300-600 in excellent cond.(ebay) And you could go cheap at first and use exhaust pipe for the piping to save on cash.

Back