Tv Cable Adjustment. Someone Help

darkstar_one

hey... that TCCOA TV CABLE thingy is not understandable. I cant tell what is what on the picture they posted. THe directions are confusing... anyone have a simpler method with out me taking it to a TRANNY SHOP

First thing, If you haven't replaced your rubber grommet with the brass replacement from Ford, do it now, it's like $2. & gets rid of the slop.
Don't know what symptoms you are trying to cure, but in a nutshell, here's how to adjust it.
I'll assume you've figured out how to disconnect it & push in the white piece to free up the in/out adjustment.
The metal "C" clip is used to lock the lever, pop it up, adjust in/out pop back down.
Moving the exposed portion of the lever further towards the front of the car increases line pressure & firms up the shifts, likewise, further in softens the shifts.

do you need adjustment?

If yours is an AOD and you are experiencing harsh downshifts from OD or other symthoms then you should take it in so your cable/ pressure can be adjusted and linkage checked. Adjustment is sensitive and best to get it done right.
Won't cost you very much.
Good luck.
Andy

AOD TV LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
aodblock.gif

IMPORTANT: The AOD transmission may feel like it is shifting at the right time when the TV cable is actually way off! The transmission will work for a while and then FAIL! It is critical that you learn to set the TV exactly like this paper says. Why?
So that you will "see" how it works, know that it's right and not be fiddling with it for an
hour, when and if you have some other problem.
1. Pull/push TV cable and block assembly out of throttle arm rubber grommet.
2. Have someone floorboard accelerator pedal from inside the car.
While the pedal is floored, push on the throttle body arm to make sure it's bottomed
(wide open) against its stop. (Adjust throttle cable, if necessary.)
3. Push the locking tab up through the adjustment block, with a pocket screwdriver, so that the locking tab is standing up next to clevis pin as shown in the picture.
4. While someone is holding' the throttle pedal floorboarded:
Pull the cable rail HARD towards the end of the cable with one hand, at the same time engage the clevis firmly into the throttle arm grommet.
Engaging the clevis automatically locks the tab by pushing it into the block.
5. Pull the block adjustment assembly out of the grommet:
Make a mark, on the rail, with a hacksaw blade or knife up against adjustment block.
This is the MAX TV mark.
6. Make another mark 5/16" from the max mark out on the rail. (Use a 5/16 pan bolt for a gauge.) This is MIN TV mark.
7. Make another mark midway between MAX mark and MIN mark. This mark is
average or MID-mark.
8. Unlock the adjustment tab. Set on MID-mark and lock tab. (Push it down into block.)
Install into throttle arm grommet and road test.

ROAD TEST
In manual "3", must have 3-2 kickdown at 50 mph (passenger cars).
CARB AND THROTTLE BODY INJECTOR MODELS: Seems to work best with
setting between MIN and MID.
PORT INJECTIONI MODELS(Standard): Start with a setting just under MID.
HIGH OUTPUT Port injection models: Start with setting just a hair over MID.

Hope this helps
Mike Donley

hey... thanx for all your replies... well i figured out how to mess around with it... well the reason i was wondering how to adjust it was because it was shifting into 3rd too early.. well i really dont know how much 5/16 of an inch is but i think i put it in the right place... well know 2nd kind of takes long to shift into 3rd. Needs maybe more adjustment.. thanx.. let me know other stuff.

somebody tell me how many inches should the MAX line be from the edge of the wire... thanx... if i know this i will know were i should place the thingy from

darkstar_one said:
hey... that TCCOA TV CABLE thingy is not understandable. I cant tell what is what on the picture they posted. THe directions are confusing... anyone have a simpler method with out me taking it to a TRANNY SHOP

Whew, and I thought it was just me!
:rolleyes:

NOTE:
For best transmission function, the TV pressure should be set as close as possible to 227 kPa (33 psi) in NEUTRAL with gauge tool installed. Since the TV pressure goes up approximately 14 kPa (2 psi) when the shift lever is moved from NEUTRAL to a forward gear ((D) or D), this will result in a TV pressure setting near the desirable 241 kPa (35 psi) in forward gear. Do not attempt to check TV pressure with the transmission in gear. When the gauge tool is removed, the TV pressure should drop to less than 34 kPa (5 psi). If the TV pressure does not drop to less than 34 kPa (5 psi), reset the TV pressure to a value less than 227 kPa (33 psi) with gauge tool installed but no less than 207 kPa (30 psi). Verify that the TV pressure is less than 34 kPa (5 psi) with gauge tool removed.

What guage tool are you referring to? Does it have a OTC part number? I would like to see a picture of the tool if you have one.

Thanks

Heres a pic of it in use. The part # is also listed.
You will also need a 0-60 psi gauge to screw into the TV port on the pass side of the tranny.

Attachments

• tv cable.jpg
    tv cable.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 316
Back