Need Rear Shocks, 1989 SC, With Electronic Ride

dkrumes

:( Hello, I have a 1989 Thunderbird SC. I noticed my rear passanger shock is leaking. I have electronic ride control. Does anyone have shocks for sale that will fit my car that are new or in new condition? I can not find any aftermarket shocks that work with the electronic ride control. I can't even find a aftermarket shock that I can install with out 'Significant vehicle modification required'. Please Help:confused:

Shocks

Lucky for you, the rear shocks are very easy to replace.

The Tokico Illimina II's are the only Elec. Adj. shock available for the SC's (as far as I know). Unfortunately they suck (in my opinion)! I recently put all four on my 94 sc and I can't wait till they wear out so I can put some Koni's or Blistiens on.

The Koni's and Blistiens are not Elec. adjustable, but I have heard they are much better.

Cheers
MB

Shox.com for Illumina II's if you want to keep the ride control. If money is the issue, you could look on the parts forum for someone that wants to sell their stock shocks as they have upgraded them to something else.

Aftermarket Rear Shocks For A 1989 SC With Programed Ride Control

Thank you MartianBob and Michael Mattix for your replies!!

I have one other question.

The manuals for shock suppliers say that in order to install a aftermarket rear shock (that does not have electronic adjustment) on this vehicle, 'extensive vehicle modification is required'. What does that mean? What has to be changed with the mounts so I can bolt on a good quality shock with out electronic adjustment? :confused:

Nothing needs to be changed at all. However the electronic system will be disabled. This will trigger the system to flash codes via the firm ride light on the dash. Simply set the system to "firm" and leave it there to override the flashing light and everything will be fine.

i have tokico's elec. ride shocks and struts i just put on my 91 along with some eibach springs car rides great and handles well

XR7 Dave is right...

Take the motors off the top and throw away and put your switch on firm.Get some Bilsteins and your done.

Hey Martian Bob, Mine are about gone and was thinking of TK's to keep the ARC system. Why didn't you like them?

Glad sho taurus likes them as I wish to KEEP my ARC system. Maybe M-Bob just got a bad set?:confused:

Just another thought.

I believe you can still get the Ford/Tokico's. Definitely more expensive (I haven't priced them lately) but I'm still running the originals after more than 13 years & 110K. They're working quite well with my Eibachs.

The reports on the web are that the Illuminas just don't last, though I obviously don't have personal experience.

Lee

Illumina II's

The Illuminas feel harsh around town, Yet mushy and bouncy on the highway. Its like the worst of both worlds.
I have about 15 K on them, I would be suprised if I let them go another 10 K. But I also put 35 miles of aggressive winding mountian road driving on them every day.

Good luck
MB

Bob, I wonder what springs you are using with the Tokico shocks? Most of the complaints that I have seen come from the springs used rather than the shocks so much themselves. The Tokico's need to be used in one of two ways. First as a factory replacement where you really don't expect a dramatic change, or they need to be used with a linear rate spring. The do NOT work well with a progressive rate spring.

Claims that they do not last are absurd though. Tokico makes the factory shocks for Ford and they will assure you that they use better components in the aftermarket items than they use in the OE ones. I am pleased with the ride of my Tokico's that have about 50K miles on them.

I have both. I have owned Koni's for about 8 years and 100K miles and they certainly have mellowed over the years. I do enjoy them however, and do recommend them to anyone who doesn't mind losing cockpit adjustment. I have found that the Koni's are as smooth as the Tokico's in "soft" over bumps and more controlling at high speed than the Tokico's even in "firm" with no change in adjustment needed. They really can be the best of both worlds if adjusted properly. My Konis are mated to variable rate springs and they seem to really like it.

My Tokico Illimina II's Arrived By UPS

Hi Everybody,

My Tokico Illimina II's arrived by UPS yesterday. I want to thank all of you for your replies. You have all been extremly helpfull on letting me know my replacement options.:) :) :)

Back