solid rubber motor mnts?

Brianas

has any one broke the solid rubber ones?
I noiticed today my motor vibrating more than usual and I grabbed the ic tube and it shakes back and forth real easy
also my oil dipstick is now rubbing on the brake master cyl.
I havent got under neath it yet to look--
Im afraid of the worst-not mounts again
any input?
thanks Josh

Where did you acquire your solid mounts? Some of the cheaper ones from autoparts stores tend to be hollow inside & can have durability issues. If you have significant modifications, a torque strap may be necessary reguardless of your mounts.

well if yer IC tube is loose that can be a reason for running rough....Check that first :O)..Or it can be the result of a bad mount

I got the mounts from rich mn12
the ic tube itself isnt loose --the whole motor shakes with it
hows the torque srtap deal work?
any 1 using a strap
thanks
Josh

Solution:

Rather than get into the headaches associated with a torque strap, what I did was create a limiter that fits the stock motor mount bracket. I am not the only one to do this, but I can verify that it WORKS. With 340rwhp on tap and some sticky tires to launch hard (anyone at the shootout can verify this), I can report that the setup works great for controlling engine movement from high torque motors. The side effect is that if the motor can't move and the mounts can't stretch, then they really can't break/tear either.

What I did was weld a flat plate in the opening on the drivers mount and then attach a piece of rubber muffler strap between the tongue and the opening. I made it so that with the weight of the motor on the mount, the rubber is snug between the mount and bracket. Because the rubber is making contact on the top side of the tongue, there is no harshness associated with a super solid mount, yet the muffler strap rubber is tough enough that it will not compress under load.

Even with the somewhat taller solid mounts (the cheap ones) and a 3/4" raised top and lauches from hades I have not even a hint of contact with the stock hood. Which is good because with the mounts in stock configuration I put a pretty ugly outie in my old hood.

Brianas , Do a search named .( Motor mount change from top)

This post has a lot of info and pictures,and torque strap pictures that XR7 DAVE brought up.
Daves idea is the cheapest and the best.I beleive.

RANDY

Back