windows off track-1990 SC

Darkside

I just bought a 90 SC on Ebay for $2,125. The bird has 74,000 original miles on it (verified by carfax). It is in excellent condition except for the door windows, they are both off their tracks. Is this a simple fix. I am an general aviation mechanic so I am mechanically inclined so I can't see this as being to big of a deal. I haven't removed the panels yet because I just got the car yesterday. Is that a common problem? I've seen several advertised that said they had that same problem on one side or the other or both. Is it a recurring problem? I also hear alot made about head gaskets. Is it just the oem gaskets that blow and then you replace them with a higher quality aftermarket set and problem solved or do they repeatedly blow regardless of brand.

same problem

I alos have a 1990 thunderbird sc and my drivers side window keeps coming off track because the little plastic pieces that hold the window in place brake its kind of a pain in the but because you dont have much room to work

This is a common problem and an easy fix. Ford even had a TSB about it. The windows are attached to the track with plastic clips that are glued to the window glass. The clips have a stud molded into each of them and a corresponding nut makes the attachment through holes in the track.

To fix here you go.

Remove the inner door panel. There is a screw in the lower rear and the panels then lift to clear the clips. There is also a screw near the armrest. You also have to pull out and disconnect the panel for the power door lock and windows. You can maneuver the door handle through the door cups so no need to remove them. On the 89 there is a screw holding it into the arm rest...later models pop out. Remove the screws holding the switches in place and feed them through the hole in the door panel as you remove it. Then you pop off the trim at the base of the window that prevent rain from sliding down the glass. Put the window at least 1/2 way down. Unbolt the clips from the track and remove the glass. Mark with tape where the clips were installed on the glass. Then clean all the residue from the glass and clips. I even post cleaned with acetone to make sure everything was good to go. Use 3M Strututal Adhesive to glue the clips back on in the proper position. It is a 2 part expoxy you have to mix. After 10 minutes or so reinstall the window roll it up and leave it for 24 hours. Reinstall the other stuff and you are done. Did it on both of my MN12 from 89 2 or 3 years ago and have never had another problem of this sort with them.

90 windows

Thanks for the information Duffy. It is extremely helpful. By the way, do you guys think I got a decent deal on this car. It's in great shape and runs great. One more thing, should I just change the head gaskets right away just to be safe?

Well...I have a 89 SC with 150,000 miles and original HG's so my answer would be no. I would flush and change the coolant to be sure though as that is one of the reasonsd for blowing HG...old corrosive coolant. In fact I would change every fluid in the car to establish a known baseline.

Without seeing the car I would not say you got a good or bad deal but the price certainly doesn't sound bad to me. Auto or manual tranny?

90 windows

It has an auto in it. I couldn't decide which way to go in that category. I would have preferred a 5-speed but I couldn't find one I liked in the price range I was trying to stay in. Both my older brothers are mustang owners(92 5.0, 85 GT, 70 Mach 1, 67 Fastback) so my goal is to smoke em' eventually with my SC. I'm only worried about the Mach 1 right now. That car is fast(351C). Anyway, I guess as long as I think I got a good deal huh? I will eventually put a 5-speed in it just because I like the control it offers. They're also alot easier and cheaper to rebuild. Again, thanks for the info.

P.S. What are the best head gaskets for this car? I won't change them till I have to though.

Hello Darkside, and welcome! You are among the many recent people to acquire one of these nice cars; congratulations!

Duffy is among the many very helpful & informative members here, and I see he has helped with your original question.

As for your other question, the best head gaskets seem to be reguarded as the units sold by FelPro. I just ordered their valve cover gaskets & they seem to be of very high quality.

And about the 5 speed, they are fun & definately my preference, but unfortunately in this car can be harder + more costly to rebuild than the automatic. The blocker rings were designed for a smooth feeling shift to match the cars luxury orientation, and as such tend not to tolerate abuse well. This includes speed/power shifting, misshifts, & shifting w/o clutch. However, many members have had them for many trouble free miles, and Southern Gear offers rebuild kits and service for them cheaply. In addition, it seems Carbon fiber synchros may be available in the near future.

Enjoy the ride!

window fix

Hey Duffy, followed your instructions on the window fix and got the drivers side done in about an hour. Doin the other side tomorrow. Instead of 3M I used J-B Weld though, we stock it where I work and it's pretty good stuff, we'll see how it holds up.
Thanks again for the help.

Well I hope it holds!!! No experience with that product here. I DO KNOW that the 3M Structural Adhesive will hold though if the clips and glass is properly prepared.

Back