PDA

View Full Version : jack stands...

MN12 KID
10-07-2003, 06:06 AM
Where's a good place to install jack stands, on both the front and rear of the car?

fastsc92
10-07-2003, 10:01 AM
i put mine under the front cross member under the oil filter, and the put the rears on the rear subframe. So far so good....very sturdy, but i dunno if this is the best place for them. I was going to ask the same question, but you beat me to it.

Aaron Pedroza
10-07-2003, 10:14 AM
Kind of hard to describe but I always put them right at the bend in the crossmember and under where the lower control arms bolt in the rear. Usually fits perfect. In the front you can actually put them on the chassis under your doors too.

Joisey Jim
10-07-2003, 11:31 AM
I put mine under the front frame rails (where they start under the firewall & are reinforced, not the subframe). If you have big shoes/flanges on the stands, just be carefull of the fuel/brake lines mounted alongside the rails. At the rear, I put them under the subframe connectors just in front of the wheel arch. This is where the tire stores put their lift & it's the same as shown in the Haynes manual. I'd avoid the regular jacking points for a complete car lift (just meant for changing wheels), because those seams tend to bend over.
Jim.

Mike8675309
10-07-2003, 11:49 AM
I stuck mine under the front crossmember.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni/images/tbird/jackstands3.jpg

Digitalchaos
10-07-2003, 01:40 PM
There are jack points listed in your Thunderbird manual, for hydralic jacks. Don't know where these are located but I'd imagine they would work.

Probably have to use those or the frame rails if you intend on removing the transmission crossmember to replace its mounts.