Fiberglass and Carbon Fiber SC Doors

John Temple

I am in the process of building molds for Fiberglass and Carbon Fiber doors for the 89-95 Thunderbird SC. I wanted to see how much interest there would be for the doors. They will accept all factory pieces including the windows, door locks, and inner door panels. These doors should save about 60+LBS. per door. The cost is still being evaluated at this time but fiberglass should fall around $600.00 a pair + shipping. Feed back would be appreciated. e.mail at john.temple@delta.com or reply to this thread.
John

This is excellent; I've been waiting to see these items for a long time.. especially the Carbon Fiber.

How strong will the materials be in comparison to stock units? Will there be any differences in fit, mounting, ect? Also, as the body of our cars is similar to the regular trim Thunderbirds from 1989 through 1995, would they not also fit these vehicles?

I would certainly have an interest in these parts for future upgrades.

Thanks!

Fit and Finish

The doors should fit exactly the same as original. They will mount using the same nut plate clips removed from you existing doors and use factory hinges. As far as the strength is concerned, I call them race and show doors but they can be reinforced with extra layers to protect against crash damage. We have discussed having them crash tested to find out if they meet or exceed factory standards but that is down the road.
John

I would take a pair, as would Gary Kuhn I am sure! These doors would be ideal for someone who already has a cage in their car. How much more do you think the CF ones will be?

Re: Fit and Finish

John Temple said:
We have discussed having them crash tested to find out if they meet or exceed factory standards but that is down the road.
John

Oh, Oh, I'll volunteer. I'll hold up a driver's side door while someone crashes into me. Then we'll see how bad the door is damaged.

Randy's Doors

Randy...Who made your fiberglass doors? Are they the type that just accepts fixed windows or can you use all factory pieces like the ones I am building?
The Carbon Fiber doors will run $200.00 or $300.00 more depending on production and material cost.

I am interested in the doors for sure! However they should be designed with manual windows if possible. Please look in to plexiglass windows also. Of course quality is important, where do I send the money!:)

Re: Re: Fit and Finish

Nettlesd said:
Oh, Oh, I'll volunteer. I'll hold up a driver's side door while someone crashes into me. Then we'll see how bad the door is damaged.

Duane, I am sure I can find some people that would like that idea:D :D

Manual windows and Lexan

As far as I know there were no manual thunderbird windows made...they were all power. All my windows will be set up for power. Lexan is available precut in the aftermarket or I can provide them at extra cost if the customer wants them.
John

Doors are very important for our cars

if they aren't strong and have the right support our cars will crumble in a crash. Our birds ,being a uni body construction, will literally crush like an accordion if the doors are gone or open. As much as I would like to lose weight, that is a very scary place to lose it if you don't have a cage.

Roll Bar

As stated earlier these will be for race or show. My car has a 10pt. cage and the round tube chassis that runs from the firewall back on my car. A 6pt. cage(roll bar) would suffice for the SC and provide side impact for the driver and passenger.
John

Ya, I just wanted to make sure people knew how important the doors are for the overall construction of our car. Didn't mean to knock the project, it's actually a great way to lose some serious weight.

Count me in

you can def count me in on that.... as long as they will fit a 96 bird. i have the body side molding removed so am not worried about that

While I do not know how manufacturing differences affect this, but carbon fiber is apparently incredibly strong. In this instance, I would think even racing doors made from that material would be at least as strong as stock doors with steel supports.

Strong as steel??

I am excited to see just how strong they are once the first pair comes out of the molds. I will keep you all informed.
John

Back