Thermostats

WuanTon

Greetings to all. I've been following this site for some time now, got some really good tips and finally decided to join. I hope to be meeting some of you soon, until then, SuperC-ya in the forums!

I do have a question though!

What's the difference between 160 and 180 degree stats? Which is best. Can anyone recommend the best brand.

Also, any info. on the difference between K&N and Green Filter air filters?

Thanx!

-WuanTon

The 160 is fully open 20 degrees sooner than a 180 thermostat. I would suggest the 180, because in the winter you may be running too cold with the 160.

In order for you gain any cooling performance from the lower temp thermostat, you will also have to get your fan to turn on a lower temp. This can be done with a custom chip, or by wiring in a adjustable thermostatic controller.

However, if your cooling system is not able to maintain normal operating temp, the thermostat and lower fan settings won't help.

David

You can buy a generic adjustable fan controller at most auto parts stores. They are commonly used when adding an electric fan to an older car that was originally equipped with a belt driven fan.

To control the low speed fan only, you simply locate wire #14 on the ICRM (behind passenger headlight) and wire the controller to break the circut to turn the fan on and close the circut to turn it off. I have two controllers and a pair of relays wired to controll both the high and low speed fan. A simple toggle switch can also be used for the low speed fan.

Here is a link to the wiring diagram that Dave Dalke drew. BTW, It works great.

http://members.tccoa.com/dneibert/fan relays.jpg

David

The stock filter is fine. You will gain more power by removing the air silencer (about 3 hp) than switching to a K&N panel filter (about 1 hp).

David

I would suggest going with the robert shaw 180* thermostat. The bigger opening allows for more coolant flo which = better cooling. Also, while reading about 160* thermostats, i read that using those might keep the eec in 'open loop' and not allow things like your O2 sensors to work properly which results in less than optimum engine performance. I had a 160* on the 94 and just switched to the robert shaw 180* and it rides much cooler.

Back