serious problem help. (long)

tim

Ok, I didnt have baffles in the valve covers and got oil in everything. Took all the ic tubes along with the ic and cleaned them up. Pulled the plugs cleaned them and regapped them to .045. Started the car and it would not idle and hardly ran at all. Ran it for a while and it would idle sort of but it is all over the map from 800 to 2000 rpms. No power at all and it seems hot but the gauge says normal. I have beem thru everything I can think of and nothing seems to make a differance. Only good part it no more oil going into the engine.

Tim,

Once plugs are fouled with oil, they need to be changed. Put in a fresh set with standard gap or re-gapped to .045 at the tightest.

Are you sure you didn't get one of the plug wires crossed, the haynes manual is often wrong with the cylinder order on the coil pack. Here is the correct location for the wires.

PlugandWireLayout.jpg

If it's not that, then start looking for a big vacuum leak...spray the IC tube connections with carb cleaner while the engine is running. You will also want to make sure the all the vacuum hoses are attached to the plenum and the intake manifold adaptor.

David

Last edited:
Only good part it no more oil going into the engine. :eek: :D

Some things which could affect the oil: Check the idle air control unit; check your intercooler hoses & SC top for vacuum leaks where they connect, and try replacing your plugs with some cheap copper units just to make sure the old ones aren't ruined. If the plugs are bad, replace with Double platinum Autolites. To seal the IC tubes properly, either get the Ford teflon tape, Copper RTV Silicon, or go over to Tbird88s site and order his IC intercooler tube gaskets.

After these things are checked, post with the results.

serious problem help.

Looks like I will be putting in new plugs. I dont think I have a vaccum leak but i will recheck. I have the ic tube gaskets. Could this be related to the the the idle control on the throttle body getting full of oil? If so can I take it off and clean it? Any chance its the crank senors it got anti freeze and water on it. I followed the diagram that you showed for the plug wires. Tim

Back