Head gaskets, here we come!!!!!

D

Dan Lineback

Head gaskets, here we come!!!!!

Time to do head gaskets on my 91!!! DAMN!!! It only has 70K miles on it!!!

Any way, I was going to do the valve cover gaskets, as they are leaking oil. So Friday night, I go to start taking stuff apart. I get the driver side cover off and I see a green puddle down inside the lifter valley, pooled up right next to a lifter. And I can see a little seeping from where the head bolts to the block. It may actually be coming from the intake gasket, but I decided that I'm gonna go ahead and do the HGs while I'm in there. So far I've got the blower and IC off, as well as both valve covers, fuel rail, adn all that crap that gets in the way (hoses, wires, etc). I'm about to the point where I can pull the heads off. Not as hard as I thought, just a lot of crap in the way. I've been through this before on a N/A 3.8, so alot of it below the blower is very similar, so the procedure is familiar to me. I guess that it's good that I caught it now before it got worse, though.

I guess that's what I get for passing gas in my car, right Mike!!

Dan your not getting a Break..lately

Sorry to hear the pooling of coolant. Too bad but you are doing the cautious thing by going ahead and doing the HG's. Who knows what the history of that 91 was when it comes to flushing of the coolant system. Annual flushes keeps the HG monster away. Atleast the XB70 is still thundering after 10 and half years and 98,000 miles later. Keeping the fingers crossed to make 100,000 without touching the motor but for to add a 70mm TB opening the exhaust some 35,000 miles ago.

The 95 5 Speed motor is disassembled and apears to be in very good shape, heads are beutiful! So far a good investmet at $500. Just planning on a hone job, new sealed power rings, new bearings all around, mild porting of heads and a regrind on the cam. Just want a stout 300 to 325 HP motor that doesn't have to huff and puff alot.

Good Luck,

Glenn

P.S. Work should settle down some in April, so I should be game for the Atlanta event. Hooah!

Re: Head gaskets, here we come!!!!!

Can't say as I didn't warn you. Think we ought send out a tech bulletin "Caution, passing gas while inside may cause head gasket failure." If worst comes to worst and you cracked a head I've got 2 sets.

Back