Installed new CPS...

SilverCoupe

... but the problems with my car have only been 1/2 solved.

Pretty much here is what my situation was:

I'd be driving along and at totally random times the car would just die or it would misfire horribly and buck. When it died, the tach would die immediately preceeding the car dying or when it started to misfire and buck. After the car died or I turned it off because it was bucking horribly, it wouldn't start for a bit. (Probably 7-10 tries before it would restart.) After I would finally get it started, the tach wouldn't work for a bit and then suddenly jump back into action.

I decided that I probably needed a CPS since the orignal 118,000 mile unit was still on there. (I should have replaced it when I did my balancer, but whatever.) So today I installed a new CPS. So I start the car up after I'm done and it runs fine for probably about 15 minutes. I think I've solved my problem. Then, out of nowhere the tach quits and it starts bucking. I limp it off the road into a parking lot and turn it off. I crank it a few times and it doesn't start. Finally after 5 tries it starts and the tach stays dead. I drive it 15 minutes home and no more problems. The tach is still dead once I get home. I get out and check my new CPS fearing that I didn't line it up perfectly and my balancer clipped it. Of course it didn't, both the balancer and CPS were still fine and intact.

So now I'm sorta stuck as to what to do. Should I try replacing my cam position sensor? Maybe try replacing the DIS module? I'm stuck here and I'm getting really sick of spending all my money repairing it instead of modifying it. (I don't even want to buy a 5% SC pulley because I'm more worried about having money to fix the car.)

crank sensor / cam sensor

replaced cam sensor /crank sensor on a buddy of mines sc. Ran great 5 min. BAM won't even idle worth a crap.
having a problem with coil pack not firing correctly. Ck'd ckp & cmp everything OK. Whats up with that?
He nailed it right after we changed the crank sesor & now it won't even idle.

Last edited:
Idling problem

Ck. your oil to see if it smells like gas & over full. This is a good indication of a DIS module bad. Stops fire not fuel.;)

Your cam sensor is bad. You have the classic symptoms.
Hard start and when it starts the tach does'nt work later while driving tach starts working again then engine starts bucking like wild.

How hard is the CMP to install? From what I gathered from my search, can't I just swap out the sensor for a new and not have to worry about timing crap? Or do you have to mess with TDC and ATDC to get the timing right when you change your CMP?

Thanks! Maybe after tomorrow I'll be able to drive her without worrying about it dying. Then, maybe, just maybe I'll order up a 5% pulley. :cool:

Just swap the sensor. You only need to worry about the timing if you pulled the entire stalk from the engine, such as when doing a new cam. It only takes about 5 min. to change.

David

Yes! Finally it runs right! With the help of a CPS, a CMP, and the people on this board it. Drove it all night without a single hiccup.

Thanks guys! :cool:

SilverCoupe said:
Yes! Finally it runs right! With the help of a CPS, a CMP, and the people on this board it. Drove it all night without a single hiccup.

Thanks guys! :cool:

Do you mean a Cam or Crank Position Sensor by using CPS abbreviation. What do you mean by CMP? I am having the same problem but not quite as severe. I am still running. Could you post the brands and part numbers that you ended up using? I am having a quite a time with my parts guy. (i.e. Ford didn't list a cam position sensor for a '94 3.8L SC.??!!)

Thanks.

Next time you talk to Ford, call it a "cam stator assembly" and see if it turns up on their parts listings.

Ford: E9SZ-12A112-A
Motorcraft: DU-47

Back