Stuck In Park

Motohead

SCCoA Member
Weard, I had to have my 1992 towed last night I could not get it out of park. Is there a preak pedal safty lock on that year car? (Noticed that the stop lights dident work either. even when I shortrd the 2 wire plug in the break pedal switch)

I am not sure here but

In my case the top part of the shifter came up. ( the part you put you hand on ) and the button you push with your thum well when you push it is spring loaded and is forced down into shaft this enables you to shift.

Well mine had came up about 1/2 an inch and that was enough to keep the plastic push pin or rod from engaging. Pull up on the shift knob it should slide right off and you will see what I am talking about. First push it down on then press the button with your thumb and see if you can shift .

Hope you understand what I am saying. Anyway if the top of the shifter raises up the it can't engage into the shaft .

I'm confused here. Do you mean that the shift lever itself will not move out of the park posistion, or are you saying that the lever moves but the tranny does not come out park?:confused:

check fuse panel

I would check the fuses first. It may sound stupid, but it the easiest thing to check first. I was once working on a 95' Honda Accord and I blew the ECU fuse (dont ask how) and I didn't know that it had blown until I started the car and it would not shift out of park. Just before I was going to have it towed to a dealer, I checked the fuse box and sure enough, the 5 amp fuse was blown. The same may be true for a Tbird, but not sure. Hope this helps.

The fuse thing has some validity to it. My moms 93 Taurus has blown the same fuse a few times and it would not get out of park either. So check all the fuses and go from there.
Dan

Yea that is your problem. The shift lock works off the brake lights, if you dont have any, it wont shift out of park. If you need to move it turn to the spot just before ignition on, and itll shift out of park for you. Usually its either the fuse or a bad brake light switch.

trans lock

same thing happened to my crown vic twice and had it towed twice.turned out to be a broken wire on the brake light switch.Modman has the answer to get moving again.I learned this on the crown vic site.

Your exact problem happened to me one time. It was the blown fuse that was my problem. Replaced it and it worked just fine. A real quick and easy fix to get you moving again. I highly suggest you check your fuses first.

Back