03 Cobra wheels on an SC

fast Ed

Hey guys

For those of you who don't browse through the ever-popular Ontario Chapter forum, I've posted some photos of my 95 SC with 2003 Cobra 17x9 machined-finish wheels on it. I picked up a set of these to use for track wheels, we previously did the Cobra brake and hub conversion on the car last year.

Please excuse the brake dust on the wheels, that builds up pretty quick on the track, especially when you're driving on Hoosier race radials. ;) Pics were taken at an SVT Owners' Association school I was instructing at last weekend.

So for anyone that's curious how these wheels might look on a Bird :
LINK HERE !!

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

right click, save as.

Ed your car is just stunning! good work. btw- what size are those tire(they look like 265 or bigger) and how does the sc do on the autocross? I can't wait to get mine out and flog it around the track.

Those look sweet ed :)

M-1007-A179_10thAnnivWheels.jpg

I want those on my car... Including the 10th anniv calipers.

or I was thinking about these of a lincoln LS

lincolnwheels.jpg

Last edited:
daivd z said:
those wheels look awesome what does it take to get them on the car with some 245's?

The original offset on them is +26. So if you have about 8 or 9 mm taken off the mounting face (there is enough material to do that), you would end up with +34 or +35, enough to stick a 9" wheel under a Bird, especially with only 245 width tires.

cheers
Ed N.

supercharged95 said:
right click, save as.

Ed your car is just stunning! good work. btw- what size are those tire(they look like 265 or bigger) and how does the sc do on the autocross? I can't wait to get mine out and flog it around the track.

Thanks for the compliment, action photos always look cool. :D

The tires are 275-40-17 Hoosier road-race radials (an old used set of Grand-Am Cup series spec rubber). Never tried the car in an autocross yet, but on the open-track stuff, it's not bad, more so on the bigger tracks like Mosport and Watkins Glen where it can "stretch its' legs"... but you can always feel the 4000 lbs. working against you. Shannonville, where those shots were taken, is fairly tight, mostly 3rd gear corners ... but a recent change to a 1989 rear stab. bar helps to get the rear of the car coming. Car already had Koni Sports and Eibachs + Cobra brakes and hubs installed.

cheers
Ed N.

Ed I think I posted this but I cant recall where...The offset on my 98 Cobra wheels is close to the 2003?..Im asking because I know my wheels stick out a tad more then the factory SC wheels did..Just curious

I want to put a set of the 2000 Cobra's on mine. What does the typical SN-95 Convert run? Id love to do it so that i can have a broader spectrum of rims. Are the Cobras calipers twin cylinder?

1998 Cobra 17x8 wheels are at +30 offset, so they will come about even with the edges of the fender on an SC ... usually an 8" wheel for our cars will be in the +35 to +39 range. I had some 99 GT Mustang wheels on my car this year as well, same specs as the 98 Cobra wheel, they were close to the edge.

cheers
Ed N.

Can you please post pics with those rims all cleaned up and sittin in the sun? That would look much better and show more stance since you can't tell with all the leaning from the turns. I have been wanting these rims since I first saw them. Even ordered them but got screwed.

Alan, I have a few pics that I took myself of the car sitting in the pit area ... you will be able to see how they fit, but they certainly aren't clean.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics when they first got bolted on at the track, I was rushing a bit to get them changed over between breaks in my sessions on the track, and instructing for the students there. That's pretty much it for this season, so those wheels probably won't be going back on the car until springtime ... unless I'm feeling really curious and motivated one day, to clean them up and bolt them back on the car just for the photo op. As I said, you would want to have about 8 or 9 mm taken off them for street use, as opposed to the 4 mm we shaved off my set for track use only ... mine do protrude from the fender openings a bit.

cheers
Ed N.

Just to add, here are a few pics of the car sitting in the pit area ...

cheers
Ed N.

Attachments

• shannonville - pit lf.jpg
    shannonville - pit lf.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 328
A close-up of the dirty front wheel ...

Attachments

• shannonville - pit lf wheel.jpg
    shannonville - pit lf wheel.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 202
That's one low down dirty bird you got there Ed. Can someone photoshop that first one and lower it 3"? Those wheels would look great on my car in chrome. Oh, the lust.

Alan, those wheels are available in chrome in a set of 4 from Ford in their accessories list. P/n is 3R3Z 1007 DA, that gets you a set of 4. Up here in Canuckistan, that set works out to about $300 per wheel cheaper than the regular replacement part through Ford. I believe there are some aftermarket replica wheels available now for these wheels too.

cheers
Ed N.

When I worked at Ford they offered them and many other oem wheels for a very good price, but I didn't want to swap hubs (poor boy) so I set up an account with Performancewheeloutlet.com (distributor for Dante's Designs, CA). I had to call about a dozen times, usally not getting anyone and finally was told that they were advertised but were waiting for more orders so I never got them.

I wonder if anyone would be willing to do a group buy on these?
They would be proper offset and lug pattern. Dibs?

Back