Finally Running!!!!!

mikesc

After 10 months and tons of money for diagnostics my car is finally running again. After the rebuild I could not figure out the timing problem. It was way off, the car wouldn't idle and had a sever detonation problem. I had checked everything I could possibly think of and after brainstorming with the mechanic (Gene)at AA Automotive we decided the only thing that could be wrong it that the cam had been installed incorrectly. Mind you, this is a motor from a "reputable" engine builder. With no other options available I gave him the green light to check it out. As he was in the process of disassembling the engine and inspecting the parts he noticed that the screws on the crank position sensor ring "didn't look right". He removed the bolts from the the ring and noticed the holes in the ring and the holes in the harmonic balancer did not exactly line up. After another conversation I decided to pull the balancer off my old engine and had him install it. The car fired right up!!!!!! No detonation and ran quite smoothly. THE CRANK POSITION HALL AFFECT SENSOR RING WAS INSTALLED INCORRETLY!!!!!! Needless to say I was both extremly happy and p$&*ed off at the same time. How in the hell could this have happened? The engine arrived with the harmonic balancer installed. The car is running, it seems to be little more cold blooded than before and will occasionally stall when I come to a stop, but at least it runs. It is now time to do battle with the builder an see if I can recoup some of the cost. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Mike

Glad to hear you figured it out. :) Why not let us know who did the lousey job of assembling (and apparently not testing) the engine, so others don't give them their business?

Be very carefull with that used balancer. The hub gets stressed and can cause it to fail after re-install. They are not all that expensive considering you have just rebuilt the engine.

Aaron

Back