Replacement tire question

kamakazie_1

Good morning all,

I have a tire question for those of you in the know... My 95 daily driver, stock wheels, is in need of tires, don't want to go expensive planning on changing wheels before the end of the year. However, I can use whatever I get on these stock wheels now on my 35th later because it's going to remain a garage queen and will be trailered not driven much.

Anybody got any thoughts on tire size for stock wheels, anything look better (lower profile and or wider) that still perform well and won't cost me excesively?? Really, question is something other than the 225 60-16 stock tires??

thanks guys..

RJ

Tire Issue

For what it's worth I've had excellent results using many sets of Michelin XGT's on my old '89SC. No tread wear warranty, but last 25-30k and have excellent traction to the end. As far as sizes I've always used the stock size.

Just checked yesterday with my local tire guy and these tires, according to his book, are still available in the stock size and two other sizes that I didn't pay any attention too.

His cost was around $118 each.

Good luck

Thanks WRGoudy, I have had a couple sets of the Michelins also, this 95 I have now has them on the front and a set of General tires on the rear.. the Michelin tires on the front have a more rounded edge to them and the car of course doesn't seem to track properly. I was looking at the new Michelin tires the other day, they look really nice and have something like a 50K warrantee on them. I haven't run this thing at the track, and probably won't till I get the wheels and tires that I want on it the end of this year. And theres a few other mods I'm wanting to make. I'm waiting to see if I can end up with a set of 17" Motorsports 280 Rs, Chrome, with good tires on them. Something about that wheel, Chrome with the pearl paint just strikes me right ya know.. :D :D

RJ

wheels on your 35th

I was looking at your pics of your 35th anny and noticed the wheels are solid black. Did someone paint those that way? Mine have a silver ring around the outside part.

I just purchased some Kumho 235 60R16's for my SC. They are "W" rated and were $69.45 shipped to my front door. An Additional $38 got them mounted and balanced with an additional $4 per tire disposal fee. That fit well into my budget as I plan on getting new wheels later as well. They don't have an overly 'aggressive' style tread pattern, but the stick to the road. Also, being 235 60's they fill up the tire well better than the stock tires. They're 1/2" taller or so. They're not low profile, but if you're looking for tires to put on for now, I recommend them. I got them from tirerack.com. They won't come up under a search for the SC, so I searched for the size. (Actually the speed rating and those came up)

Re: wheels on your 35th

forcefed95sc said:
I was looking at your pics of your 35th anny and noticed the wheels are solid black. Did someone paint those that way? Mine have a silver ring around the outside part.

Your's are supposed to be polished..

Some moron painted them, looks like a spray can job. When I got this it was really a basket case, pretty much everything worked but was in really rough cometic shape.. This is going to be my stock perfect rebuild when the house gets done.. I've got the GFX and bumper covers off and painted and sitting waiting to get everything else done so hopefully by the middle of next year I'll be able to call it good looking again..

RJ

Back